Chapter 29

Qing Hua stared at his cell phone. He hadn't heard from Bao Zheng since the day he went to his apartment last week. Their last class was also canceled. All of his text messages and calls went unanswered. He drafted another message to Bao Zheng.

Qing Hua: Whatever I did. I really am sorry. Please say something. 🙁

He threw the phone down onto his desk and laid on his bed. He couldn't even think of focusing on homework in his current state. As Qing Hua began to doze off, Yan Tu entered the room, playing a noisy game on his phone.

"Hey man." Yan Tu said throwing his backpack on to the floor and sitting on his bed.

"Hey." Qing Hua closed his eyes again, hoping this day would pass faster.

"What's wrong? You've been depressed for a while now." Yan Tu laid his phone on the bed.

"Nothing. Just stressed." His voice came out just above a whisper.

"Tell me about it. That damn business professor giving us that fucking long as paper out of the blue?" Yan Tu huffed. "Like we don't have enough problems."

"I guess."

"I don't want to bring this up when you're feeling like shit, but how's it coming with getting that answer key?" Yan Tu leaned forward.

Qing Hua could feel a sudden heat in his chest. He knew Yan Tu meant no harm but his question infuriated him.

"I don't want to fucking think about that right now. I have too much shit going on." Qing Hua screamed. His breathing quickened and he felt the urge to hit something.

"Sorry. You said you're stressed... wouldn't that make you a little less stressed to..."

"Just leave it!"

Yan Tu nodded and returned to playing his game. His chubby face was red and Qing Hua knew he had hurt his feelings.

"Sorry. I'm just... I don't know."

"It's all good."

"Man I..." Qing Hua began before he heard his phone vibrate. He jolted towards his desk where the phone laid and looked at the message.

Bao Zheng: I'm ok.

He sighed a breath of relief that he'd finally gotten some confirmation Bao Zheng wasn't in a ditch somewhere hurt or worse.

"Thank God." Qing Hua said taking several deep breaths.

"What happened?" Yan Tu asked.

"Nothing."

As Qing Hua was going to take a seat on his bed there was a knock at the dorm door.

"Were you expecting company?" Qing Hua asked Yan Tu.

"No. Maybe it's Tom? I borrowed a book from him." Yan Tu stood up and answered the door. Qing Hua could hear the voice of a woman.

"Qing Hua... it's for you." Yan Tu said with a telling look on his face.

Qing Hua stood and walked to see Bao Zheng's ex-wife Zhen Hua at the door. She looked up at Qing Hua, her eyes had bags under them and her face wasn't as smooth as he'd remembered. She looked to have aged 10 years since he'd last seen her.

"Hi Qing Hua. You mind having a chat with me?" Her voice was small, almost like a squeak.

"Sure."

Qing Hua grabbed his coat and walked with her to the cafeteria area, which was barren of students. They took a seat near the back of the cafeteria area.