Chapter 35

Bao Zheng threw his briefcase onto the floor of his office and slumped into his chair. His heart was racing and his hands were shaking. He couldn't believe he'd cracked like that in front of Qing Hua. His tear stained face was still tinged red and his vision blurred. He grabbed a Kleenex and began wiping his cheeks, erasing any remnants of the scenario that had just taken place shortly before.

He began pacing around his office. No matter how much he tried to calm himself, his heartbeat was erratic and he was still deeply bothered by Qing Hua's blatant betrayal. He was pulled from his thoughts by a soft knock at his office door. His head jolted towards the door.

"Come in," he exclaimed. The door opened and Yan Tu entered. His shoulders were slumped and his face wore an innocent expression, but Bao Zheng knew better.

"Hi professor, you wanted to see me?" He asked in a flat tone. He was fidgeting with his fingers and sweat had already collected on his brow.

"Yes, I did," Bao Zheng said digging into his bag and pulling out the test. He walked over to Yan Tu and placed it into his hands.

Yan Tu's eyes grew wide as he stared at the 0% written in blazing red pen. "I don't understand professor, I thought..."

"You thought what Yan Tu?" Bao Zheng interrupted. "You thought you were going to ace this test? Why? Because you and Qing Hua cheated?" Bao Zheng's tone was abrasive, the young man cowered before him.

"I don't know..." Yan Tu's eyes darted around the room.

"What? You don't know what I'm talking about? You're just as shameless as your friend." Bao Zheng walked over to his desk and took a seat.

"I'm sorry Professor. I don't know what came over me. Please give me another chance. I really need to pass this class. Please professor." Yan Tu was rubbing his hands together, pleading. Tears began to well up in his eyes but Bao Zheng couldn't feel anything for him. Not for what he and Qing Hua had done.

"I can't do that Yan Tu. I must report this to the ethics committee. You and Qing Hua can't get away with your misdeeds." Bao Zheng grabbed a folder on his desk and pretended to read its contents. "That is all. I don't want to look at you."

Yan Tu fell to his knees. "Please Professor Huang, I swear I won't cheat again. Please!" He begged between sobs. His chubby cheeks were tear stained and his eyes were red. Though Qing Hua was the main culprit, Yan Tu was an accomplice. He hated them both.

"Leave!" Bao Zheng exclaimed.

Yan Tu slowly rose to his feet. He walked out of Bao Zheng's office with his head lowered. Bao Zheng cut on his computer and began drafting an email to the Ethics Committee.

To Whom It May Concern:

I would like to report the ethical misdeeds of two students in my Intermediate Chinese History Class: Hou Qing Hua and Yan Tu. Both students stole the answer key for at least two tests from my office and proceeded to use them to pass their exams. This is unacceptable by university policy and I would like the ethics committee to consider these claims.

I call for their immediate expulsion.

Sincerely,

Bao Zheng

Bao Zheng's mouse loomed over the "Send" button.

He used you. He played you for his own gain. He never loved you. This would be the best way, then you would never have to see him again.

A knot formed in Bao Zheng's stomach. He began to erase the email. He huffed and rested his head in his hands. He opened the lower drawer of his desk and found a bottle of whiskey. Bao Zheng ripped the top off the bottle and began to gulp it down. The brown liquid burned his throat but eased the knot in his stomach. He finally took a breath and saw he'd drank nearly half the bottle.

"That son of a bitch!" He exclaimed. "You thought you could trick me huh?"

His phone vibrated. It was Zhen Hua.

"Hey Zhen Hua, it's not a good time."

"Why? What happened? Did you and your boyfriend fight?"

Bao Zheng was silent. He didn't know how to answer her question. Was Qing Hua ever his boyfriend? Could this be considered a fight? Was their relationship, whatever it was, over?

"No... it's... he's..." The words could not escape his lips. He didn't know what to tell her.

"What happened? Something happened, didn't it?" Her voice was ridden with concern.

"I don't want to talk about it. Why'd you call me?"

"Oh yes, I have a flight tonight to Shenzhen. I had a conference but it was cancelled so I will fly out to see you."

"That's great." Though Bao Zheng felt down, the idea of not spending this time alone actually made him start to feel better.

"Right! I'm at the airport. My flight leaves in an hour so I will be checking in and we can have breakfast tomorrow."

"That's awesome Zhen Hua."

She was silent. He knew silence only meant she was thinking of what to say, whether she inquire again about what was bothering him, but he hoped she didn't.

"So... how's school?"

"It's good."

"That's good." Bao Zheng could hear something over the intercom where she was. "Okay, well my flight is going to start boarding in a few minutes. I will see you in the morning."

"Sounds good."

They disconnected the call. Bao Zheng placed the liquor back in his desk drawer and decided to go home early. The walk home seemed longer than usual. The street was laced with snuggling couples as they walked hand in hand to their destinations. Girls leaned into their boyfriends' warm embrace. The sight of so many couples made Bao Zheng sick. Bao Zheng made it to his apartment building and noticed a very expensive sports car parked out front.

The car was like a car that Qing Hua would drive. Bao Zheng sauntered over to the car, the windows were all tinted so he couldn't see if anyone was in it. He kicked the car.

"You think you're so cool because you drive fancy cars and seduce everyone huh?!" He yelled at the car.

Bao Zheng walked up to the window and attempted to peek in, he couldn't make out anything on the inside.

"I know you're in there Qing Hua! Be a man and face me!" Bao Zheng pulled on the car door. The alarm began to sound. Panic immediately set in. He immediately darted for the front door of his building and ran inside. Once inside his apartment he could catch his breath. He slid down to the floor and leaned against the wall.

He just wanted to forget this day, but the pain pulsed through his chest. Bao Zheng looked around his messy apartment. Dishes had piled up and laundry was strewn around. He huffed and stood up. He had to maintain some sort of normalcy if he wanted to see Zhen Hua tomorrow- she couldn't find out. No one can.  

Hello my lovely readers-

Thank you for reading another chapter. This chapter wasn't as action packed as the last but this is all necessary to lead up to the big event... I know you're curious as to what that is... You guys won't like it for sure. LOL jk

Anyway, I am in the process of planning a sequel to this book with the same characters but a new couple shall emerge among the characters. Who do you think is next to fall into Rika's Love Nest?  I am not going to give anything away as it's still in planning phase right now but I may post a small excerpt at the end of this novel. 

Happy Reading!