Chapter 34

Qing Hua stood in the corridor of the Liberal Arts Building. He peered outside and watched as students hustled to their morning classes in winter coats. Though it was only 9 AM, the overcast sky made the day almost as dark as midnight. Qing Hua spotted Yan Tu among the students.

"Hurry up man, we're gonna be late!" He screamed.

Yan Tu sped up, fumbling through the bustling crowd.

"Sorry I overslept," he said, adjusting his bookbag on his shoulder.

"Come on." Qing Hua and Yan Tu ran through the hall.

"We have three minutes!"

Yan Tu followed closely behind Qing Hua, his loud breathing echoing through the halls. Qing Hua pulled the classroom door open. Bao Zheng wasn't there yet. Good.

"Thank goodness the professor isn't here." Yan Tu said.

Qing Hua nodded. They made their way to their seats through the loud full classroom. "I think we aced another one," Yan Tu said with a chuckle.

"Maybe," Qing Hua said taking out his textbook.

Bao Zheng entered the classroom, wearing an oversized button up blouse and wrinkled dress pants. His tussled hair and baggy eyes gave him the appearance of a man who hadn't slept in days.

"Sorry I am late class. I have your tests for you, I will pass them out at the end of the lesson," he said.

He started the lesson. Though Bao Zheng had been acting strangely for a while, today he was even worse than usual. He constantly lost his place in the lecture and often spaced out. The students mumbled to each other in concern.

"What is wrong with the professor today?" A girl that sat near Qing Hua asked the girl next to her. Her friend shrugged.

"I'm sorry class..." Bao Zheng finally said. "This is going to be a free session, use this time to study. Please line up along my desk for your test papers." Bao Zheng sat down at his desk and pulled out a stack of test papers.

Yan Tu's face lit up. "Another A for sure," he said as he stood. The students lined up. Many of their faces lit up as they looked at their exceptional grades. When Qing Hua reached the front of the line, Bao Zheng completely averted his eyes and handed out the test paper to the girl behind him.

"Good job Bella." He said smiling at her. Bao Zheng's cold shoulder stung Qing Hua in the chest. The room emptied out, leaving Yan Tu and Qing Hua alone with their professor.

"Professor, you forgot to give us our tests," Yan Tu said, breaking the silence. Sweat glistened his forehead.

"Yan Tu, come by my office later. I need to speak with Mr. Hou alone."

Mr. Hou?

"Yes." Yan Tu said with furrowed brows. He threw Qing Hua a puzzled look before slowly walking out of the classroom.

Bao Zheng glared at Qing Hua. Having a cold stare was Qing Hua's specialty but Bao Zheng sent a chill down his spine.

"What is it?" Qing Hua asked.

"Mr. Hou..." Bao Zheng stopped. He reached into his bag and pulled out a paper; it was Qing Hua's test. "Here." He said dangling it in front of Qing Hua like bait.

Qing Hua reached for the paper but Bao Zheng released it before he could grab it. The paper drifted to the floor and Qing Hua could see the big "0%" at the top of it, written in fat red marker.

His eyes widened. "This..."

"You failed, Qing Hua."

Bao Zheng stood up from his desk. He wore an unsmiling expression. "You thought you made a fool of me. Didn't you?"

Qing Hua stood there in silence. Thoughts raced through his mind, leaving him reeling in a dizzying panic. Sweat broke across every surface of his body. His heart seized.

"So, you're not going to say anything?" Bao Zheng's resolve cracked, his deadpan expression had shown a hint of emotion. He looked... broken.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Qing Hua blurted without thinking.

"Which dynasty is considered the first dynasty of China?" Bao Zheng asked.

Qing Hua opened his mouth, then closed it without a word. Silence.

"What two structures did the Ming dynasty build during their reign?"

Silence.

"How many states united under Emperor Qing?"

Silence.

"One last chance. This is an extra credit question. Did you really... even like me?"

Qing Hua's eyes widened. His chin quivered and a half sob coughed from his lips. He felt like a lost little boy all over again, and probably looked like one too.

Bao Zheng huffed, his jaw pulsing. "You disgust me."

Ice cold rage pumped so fast into Qing Hua's veins, his body became frigid at once. "What about you? Did you really like me?"

"What kind of question is that? Of course, I did."

"More than your Tan Zhi?"

Bao Zheng's eyes widened and he looked at the floor. "Why are you asking me this?"

"Why did you lie to me? Why didn't you tell me I look just like him? Why couldn't you tell me the fucking truth?!" Qing Hua exclaimed.

Bao Zheng shuddered at his outburst. " I'm not the one in the wrong! You are! You're pathetic."

"I am? Really? What about you? You made me into your fucking wet dream. You couldn't have the real thing so you settled for second best. I hope it was worth it because whatever was between us is done... dead, like your friend."

Bao Zheng slapped Qing Hua. Pain stung his cheek.

Qing Hua looked at Bao Zheng, his eyes were shooting daggers of fury. "Can't handle the truth?"

"It's not the truth!" Bao Zheng's calm demeanor was cracking. "It's so far from the fucking truth!" Bao Zheng's face was tinged red.

Qing Hua paced in a circle, breathing hard. He backed away, towards the door.

"I love you! I love Qing Hua!" Bao Zheng shouted at the top of his lungs; his face now flushed and puffy. "I love Qing Hua a lot!" Tears streamed down his cheeks.

Qing Hua stood there dumbfounded. All of his anger had dissipated and nothing but guilt remained.

"I loved Qing Hua a lot and he used me. How do you think I feel?!" Each sentence made Qing Hua's chest feel like 100 knives had penetrated it.

Bao Zheng began to sob hysterically. "I loved Qing Hua a lot." He said over and over.

Qing Hua stood there, the weight of guilt on his shoulders was enough to make him collapse.

"I..." Qing Hua started.

"Leave," Bao Zheng said looking up at him. His eyes were bloodshot. "Get out of my classroom, right now."

Qing Hua nodded and left the classroom. He stood at the classroom door. His heart was beating dubiously but all he could do was stand there.

Which dynasty is considered the first dynasty of China?

"I don't know."

What two structures did the Ming dynasty building during their reign?

"I don't know."

How many states united under Emperor Qing?

"I don't know."

Did you really even like me?

"Yes... A lot." 

You guys knew it was coming... the moment we all dreaded. 

Thanks for reading!