Chapter 31

Qing Hua looked around the packed college cafeteria. The stench of the cafeteria's mediocre food wafted through the air. He pulled his backpack onto his shoulder and walked towards the table where Yan Tu and Tom were sitting. He could hear the men engaged in a heated discussion, which wasn't unusual. He took a seat next to Yan Tu, who was talking with egg flying out of his mouth.

"Hey Qing Hua." Tom said taking a drink of coffee.

"Hey." Qing Hua's deep voice was void of any emotion.

"What's wrong? You left the dorm kinda early today." Yan Tu said turning to face him.

"Had to turn in an assignment." Qing Hua placed his backpack next to him and put his head down.

"You sure you okay?" Tom asked concerned.

Qing Hua nodded his head.

"Okay." The men went back to their conversation from earlier.

"What do you mean the first movie was better? Ip Man 3 was a classic." Yan Tu exclaimed. His loud voice was attracting the attention of people at the nearby tables.

Qing Hua put his head up and rubbed his temples.

"Tom, you got any aspirin?"

"Yeah." Tom pulled out the small packet of pills and handed them to him.

"Thanks." Qing Hua took two and took a drink of Yan Tu's water.

"You sure you're okay? You've been pretty distant recently."

"Yeah. Nothing out of the ordinary." Qing Hua attempted to smile, but his face could only manage a sneer.

"Oh yeah Tom, what happened between you and your girlfriend? You said you guys had a fight last night." Yan Tu asked.

"Oh, we cleared it up. That guy was messaging her, I took care of it." Tom winked at Yan Tu.

"Oh. I thought you guys were gonna break up for sure." Yan Tu said.

Of all of Qing Hua's friends, Tom was the one who'd been in a healthy committed relationship the longest. Qing Hua had never had a girlfriend more than a few weeks and Yan Tu... was Yan Tu.

Qing Hua sat up straight. "Hey Tom. I have a friend who has a dilemma and I didn't know what to tell him."

"Shoot." Tom leaned in, listening intently.

"He's dating this girl who he really likes. However, he recently found out that her ex-boyfriend looks exactly like him. I mean, he says they could be identical twins. He got upset because he thinks she's using him to live out a fantasy of being with her ex-boyfriend. What do you think he should do?"

Tom nodded and leaned back into his chair. "Is she still seeing the ex? Like are they friends?"

"Well no... he's dead."

"Then why is he mad?"

"Because they look exactly alike."

Tom shook his head. "There's no reason to be mad. The most that this says is that his girlfriend has a type. Is he going to be mad if she dated a guy with the same personality?"

"It's weird though. To date someone that looks like your deceased ex?" Qing Hua's voice raised slightly.

"No, not really. I have a friend who likes girls who have big chests. It wouldn't make sense for his girlfriend to get mad about the size of his ex's chest if she's dead. She's dead."

"But she's using him!" Qing Hua yelled. Both men jolted at his outburst.

"Why are you getting so worked up?" Yan Tu asked laughing.