Chapter 5

Qing Hua stared down at the paper on his desk. His eyes shifted between the "See me after class" scrawled under the large 0% in the top corner of the test.

His eyes glazed over the classroom towards the other students- most of whom were grinning at their decent scores.

He'd never failed a test in his life. The one thing he excelled in was school. How is this possible? The lack of blood ties in his family was only ignored through his advanced intellect. His breathing quickened. He crumpled the paper between his fingers as rage travelled from his head to his gut.

"Hey, what'd you get?" Yan Tu asked, leaning towards him.

Qing Hua tilted his paper towards him.

Yan Tu gasped. "You did worse than me," he stated patting Qing Hua on the back.

Qing Hua glared at the professor at the front of the room. His lips were moving, but Qing Hua could hear nothing over his own heartbeat.

How had he failed? He studied for hours and this was the reward. His body temperature rose. See me after class? Why? Was that going to make his grade better?

Qing Hua stood from his desk abruptly. The students' heads darted in his direction. Bao Zheng stopped speaking mid-sentence and looked in his direction. He spoke again, but nothing reached Qing Hua's ears. Qing Hua snatched the paper off the desk, grabbed his backpack and made his way to the front of the class.

"Wait for me," he heard Yan Tu shout.

"Qing Hua?" The professor said.

He ignored him and stormed out of the classroom.

"Fuck!" He yelled once outside the Letters and Arts building.

"Hold on, wait for me," Yan Tu stated attempting to catch his breath.

"I can't believe this," Qing Hua said glaring at the 0% written on the top of his test. It taunted him. It laughed at him. He could hear it ringing in his head, telling him he wasn't good enough. He crumpled the test paper into his hand once again, attempting to silence its insults.

"Man, I can't believe you stormed outta there." Yan Tu stuffed his test into his backpack.

"What did you get?" Qing Hua asked, finally curious.

"30%." Yan Tu stated laughing dryly. He scoffed. "Studied so fucking hard...for 30 percent."

Qing Hua made his way to his dorm with his friend panting behind him. He tossed his backpack on the floor and slammed down onto his bed, while Yan Tu plopped on a nearby stool.

"This is the first time I've failed a test in my life," Qing Hua said.

"Yeah, this semester was going pretty good for me too." Yan Tu pulled out his cell phone.

"This is the last thing I need right now, to fail a dumb history class." Qing Hua sighed. "And he wants to see me after class. That's going to be quite the conversation."

Yan Tu scoffed. "I don't think he wants to do much talking." He wore a mocking grin, but his tone was serious.

Qing Hua furrowed his brow and perked up. "What are you talking about?"

"I didn't tell you what I witnessed outside his office?" Yan Tu leaned in.

"No, what did you witness? He was jacking off?" Qing Hua said sarcastically.

Yan Tu nodded.

Qing Hua stared at him blankly. "Seriously, what'd you witness?"

"Just that, he was getting off in his office," Yan Tu slapped his meaty leg as he laughed hysterically.

"Damn," Qing Hua said coldly.

"I haven't even gotten to the best part. Guess what he said?"

Qing Hua pulled his phone out of his backpack, sifting through messages, disinterested. "What?"

"Your name."

Qing Hua froze. All feeling left his fingers and toes as his phone dropped to the floor, making a loud thud.

"Wait, what? He said what?"

"You heard me right. He said your name. I was shocked so I ran. I think he saw me, but not sure."

"Are you serious?"

"I already told you. I heard it clear as day."

His anger had dissipated and a new emotion took over, one he never felt before.

"I'll be back," Qing Hua said grabbing his phone and keys and exiting the dorm room and entering the lecture hall. He made his way down the long hallway before stopping at the classroom door.

Qing Hua stood in front of the classroom and grabbed the doorknob.  

Author Note:

This chapter is very short, however, I believe my readers will enjoy the next chapter.  :))