Chapter 18 --- You're Perfect

I sit back up as I feel the myself being pushed back to where I was before. It wasn't gravity, it wasn't because of pain either. It was pure, utter guilt.

The sound of sobbing reached my ears and my heart shattered into a million pieces.

"Oh, my darling girl!" instead of a long lecture and being let go, Natalie pulled me in the tightest hug she ever gave me, causing me to let the tears I held for myself flow freely. It wasn't long until Patrick joined us also with tears streaming down his cheeks.

"I'm sorry." I practically whispered. My throat was on fire, and my eyes were blurred with tears.

"Sweetheart..." Natalie finally pulled back, cupping my face as if she was memorizing every inch of my red and blotchy face. "I don't know what to say." she choke out the words. Patrick was silent, as he was in charge of my overall examination. The news wasn't easy on him mostly.

"It's okay, mom. I understand if you hate me and if you'll send me away and---"

"Sshh, no. Never." I felt my head being caressed and a pair of lips kissing my head. "Never, my sweet. Cassidy, we will never do that to you, honey." Natalie protested.

"Cassidy, you are family. We never abandon family no matter what." Patrick says as he wiped his nose with the sleeve of his coat. The strong and admirable Dr. Patrick Hughes, the man who I thought I would never win the favor, is now crying for me.

"We need to act fast, w-what can we do here, honey?" Natalie suddenly snapped out and became full mother mode. She straightened her blouse and wiped her tears away.

"There are a lot of options nowadays. There's chemotherapy--"

"No." I said and both of them looked at me questioningly.

"It doesn't necessarily mean we have to do it through an IV, you can have them orally as if they were just one of your vitamins and other medications, Cassidy."

"Still, no." I said firmly.

"Radiation."

"Never."

"Why?" Natalie started to break down again as another set of tears fell, and she was close to falling herself. Good thing she landed on a chair. "Don't you want to live? Do you want us to die of heartbreak?" she asked me and the hint of rage can be heard.

I slowly lifted myself and stood up to walk to them. Kneeling down, I held her hands that were on her lap. She was still not looking at me, and I understood why. Patrick had his grip on her shoulders trying to calm both of them down.

"The truth is, all my life, I wanted to end my life." I said, and I saw Natalie gulp but still I continued. "I thought that way back when I was still in my previous home that one day I'd die peacefully. I'm tired. I really am." my sobs were getting harder to control. "I've been trying to open my eyes for years because I still have an ounce of hope in me that things will get better, but I already understood that there are things in life that will never heal. My body can't take it anymore. Not even the medication for these cuts and bruises. My body is tired. Any form of these medical procedures will be my cause of death. I can never bear to suffer that much ever again.

"I know what it feels like to be beaten to the point wherein I wish death would follow as I black out, but then I wake up and I become so frustrated because still I get another day of it. This disease isn't a stranger. It was the reason behind everything. I can not bear anything that extreme. Please understand. My body is already giving up, Please don't pick up it's pace."