Chapter 3---New Life. Feelings? Nah! Same Old!

Cassidy's P.O.V.

Dinner. After years...I was at the table with my family again. But the life threatening feeling was still there and it never left me.

"The food is delicious. Thank you, Candace." Mrs. Hughes complimented.

If only she knew that they were just take-outs from a restaurant out-of-town. I saw the paper bags in the trash bin.

I didn't have much of an appetite that evening. Dr. Hughes was eyeing his wife with worried eyes. I already know it's about me. I'm sick of this family I have. Faking every moment we have on that table.

"Cass, darling, please pass the rolls." dad suddenly said.

I didn't want to do it. I looked at James and he was looking back. I nervously held the small basket and slowly dragged it forward towards my father. After that, I placed my hands on my lap and I felt James' fingers brush my knuckles. I looked up at him and he smiled leaving me flushed.

"Cassidy..." my attention was drawn to the lovely Mrs. Hughes. "Do you want any help in packing?" she asked as she gracefully cut through her meat.

"Uh, no, Mrs. Hughes. I can surely manage that." I said in a low tone.

I looked at James' plate and he was almost done. Just two more bites left on his plate. I looked at mine and it was hardly touched.

James wiped his mouth with the napkin that was on his lap, signaling that he was done. I looked at my plate again. I should eat, but my appetite, as I said before, wasn't much. The whole situation I'm at right now isn't helping either. I'm once again reunited to the family table with my abusive family, my future in-laws...and my future husband, which still bothers me because of his occupation.

An arranged marriage to your teacher. That's something you don't see everyday...

BECAUSE IT'S FREAKING ILLEGAL TO BE WITH A TEACHER!

"...Cass?" my thoughts were interrupted by James' voice.

"I-I'm sorry, what?" I stammered. That was humiliating.

He chuckled. "It's okay. My dad was just asking if you still wanted to spend some days here with--"

"NO!" I cut him off. Just thinking of spending another day here and have them beat me up with another sleepless night. I looked around and they were all looking at me. "Yes...I mean, no. Uh..." I started to scratch my head. "Can we, uh, just stick to the plan, please?"

"Yes. It's fine. I was just considering that you might wanna have some time to say goodbye to your family."

"Uh, it's okay, Dr. Hughes." I smiled at him and he went back to finishing dinner. I can feel my father's blood boiling for me already.

My parents were talking to his parents. Just ordinary small talk. I looked at my brother, Danny, and he looked upset. He was looking at his plate and piercing his food with the fork.

"You okay there, Cass?" James whispered in my ear sending electric shocks through my whole body. Chill, Cass! You are not supposed to have feelings for him!

"Yeah." I lied. I looked at him and he looked disappointed at me.

"You should eat, Cass." he said in a low tone. We were still facing each other and it was the closest I had with a guy. My stomach was filled with butterflies. "Eat up, Cass. Please." he pleaded.

"I'm really not that hungry." I said looking at my food.

"At least eat half, please?" he insisted, looking at my eyes. Aw, he looked so cute. Shut it, Cass!