Chapter 8---A House and A Home

Cassidy's P.O.V.

"Danny?" I called out.

I heard footsteps getting louder and louder like the pumping of my very own heart. What if it was dad after all? Oh, crap. What am I doing? I just have to yell. Yeah. James will come in here anyway...but can he hear me? Oh, no...

"Right here, Cass." I turned around to see...Danny. He was wearing normal clothes, but the house is awful! I don't understand.

"Are you here to beat me up?" I'm brave again. Wow. Just wow.  What else could he be for? A slumber party?

He shook his head. Really? "No, Cassidy. Never will I be doing it again."

"Yeah, right. Nice try. What if dad was here and told you to make me a punching bag?" I folded my arms over my chest. That could happen, you know. It happened quite a lot of times before.

"I know you still don't forgive me, Cassidy. I know that I wasn't the brother you needed for a long time. I want us to start over again. Our brother-sister relationship." how sweet! Cough.

"No. But I am curious. What happened here?" I don't want to hear his apologies and the things he should've done and all that mushy stuff because I'm tired of listening to all these lies.

Danny looked all over the house and then his eyes shot into mine. "Dad did this. All of this. Not because you were gone. Actually, the moment you were gone, I never saw him grin like an idiot in forever. That was also the moment mom lost it."

Did I just hear right? "Pardon me, what?" did he just say that mom lost it?

Danny nods and then sighs. "That's right. Mom lost it. She didn't want you to be given away. She became infuriated and while dad was counting the money in the briefcase, mom started to fight him.

"At first she slapped him hard, dad didn't respond. The next thing I knew, mom was the one punching dad on the couch. She kept on yelling, 'How could you do this to me? Why did you let this happen? I want my daughter back! Give me back my daughter, you piece of crap!'."

My heart started to race. Should I believe Danny? This doesn't sound like mom at all. She kept doing everything dad said. Mom would usually be like dad's puppet. He commands her to do something to me and she does it, just like Danny does.

Danny stepped closer to me and I took a step back. "Dad started to fight back, and we all know that dad is was stronger. He hit mom hard on the face, on the stomach, and on the head. But she was strong and dad fell unconscious. She stood up, ran to the room and collected her things. That very same day, she left the house.

"When mom was stepping out, I begged her to stay with me, but she told me that I should also go and that we will cross paths again someday, and that she is still happy for you leaving the house. I remember her saying that she loves you too much that's why she agreed to the whole marriage thing.

"She then told me that I was smart enough to know what to do next. That she loves me, and that I should take care. Dad woke up just to see mom go outside and for a moment I saw something in dad's eyes that were different when mom slammed the door. He came to me and begged me to stay with him no matter what. It was him and me against the world at that time...but I couldn't do it. My conscience was eating me up.