Chapter 67 Sneaking Out

Chapter 67

Katniss Pov.

I come home. Mom tries to say hi to me and I don't answer. I won't answer until she moves on and starts to be happy for me. I change into a different outfit since it's getting cold. I put on skinny jeans and a clean top. I also grab my favorite brown leather jacket. I turn on my radio, to make it seem like I'm still home, listening to music. Then I climb out my window, it's easy to slip out of. I run to the mall, knowing if I take the car I'll be caught. I don't care if I'm caught, but if I took the car it would be obvious. Good thing the mall is only two miles away. I get there in less than fifteen minutes with all my tricky short cuts. I see him at the coffee shop. I walk over to him and sit with him.

"That was fast for sneaking out and coming on foot." he says.

"Well, I guess I was in a rush to see you." He smiles.

I get a call from my mom. I don't answer. We talk for about twenty minutes before my mom shows up at the coffee shop.

"Katniss Everdeen! What are you doing here?!" she yells at me.

"I told you that I wouldn't let you keep us apart!" I yell back.

"We're going home." She tells me. I whisper to Cato to run with me.

He grabs my hand and we run through the mall laughing. We go in the elevator. She's about twenty feet away, she's not a fast runner. We click door close and we start moving upstairs. We get to the top and hide in Macy's. We go where my mom would never look, the makeup floor. We go where the bathrooms are. She doesn't show up for thirty minutes.

"I think she finally gave up." Cato tells me.

"Me too." I agree. Then I see a security guard coming our way.

"Excuse me, a woman gave me your photos, I'm afraid I need to take you to your mom, Ms. Everdeen." He tells me.

"Please don't take her, her mom is crazy." Cato tells him.

"I'm sorry but she's waiting at the lost child part of the mall right now. I have to bring you to her Ms. Everdeen."

The rush I've felt today is too awesome to just stop now. I kinda like the feeling of taking risks. I didn't feel brave enough to take risks until I was with Cato.

"Okay," I say. "Cato, the alarm." I whisper.

He pulls the alarm conveniently right next to him. The security guard runs to look for the emergency. I grab his hand and we run.

"I never thought I'd be running with you from your mom and security guards." he tells me.

"Get used to it, I have a feeling it's going to happen a lot." we both have fun as the guards chase us all over the mall.

They finally catch me, I put up a fight and try to make more last minute escape plans. But it doesn't work. I get home and I'm grounded for the rest of the month.

I hear someone throwing rocks at my window with a small radio at his feet. I open the window and he stops throwing rocks. He plays the song 'Love Story' by Taylor Swift and I just laugh.

"Cute." I tell him.

My mom comes through the door. I push his head down.

"Trying to escape again?" she asks.

"No," I tell her. "Just looking out my window, waiting to leave this place."

She walks out of my room and Cato pops back up.

"Sorry, I didn't want her to make you leave."

"I know."

He gives me a quick kiss. "See you tomorrow Juliet."

"See you tomorrow, Romeo."