Chapter 6 Jealousy

Chapter 6

Peeta Pov.

I get home and go straight up to my room. I was so hoping that Katniss would say my name tonight. But she said Cato. I rather have her say anyone else. In the fourth grade, Cato completely embarrassed me in front of Katniss.

"Look Kitty, I made you some bread!" he said as he handed her a piece of his bread. "Do you love me now?"

She laughed, she laughed! I guess it was because back then, she hung out with Cato and his friends. It was when she started hanging out with Thresh and then she hung out with the rest of us. I actually thought she was going to say Thresh's name tonight. I rather have her say his name instead of Cato's.
I go to sleep, dreading school tomorrow.

----------------------------------

I don't drive with Finn today. I'm too hurt about the whole Katniss thing. I've liked her since kindergarten, she either knows and doesn't care, or is so clueless that she doesn't know. Even though everyone has told her. When I start walking to English, I see Cato and Katniss by Katniss's locker.

"Want to hang out with us at lunch?" Cato asks her and he grins.

"I'll double check with everyone, but I thought your friends don't like me anymore."

"They like you, I promise."

She giggles, "ok, I'll go."

I quickly walk into class without looking at her.

"Hi Peeta." she says and waves.

"Hi." I say and keep walking. She gives me an odd look. We sit down and Mr. Abernathy tells us to work on our projects. Finn is a good friend and he's street smart, but he's not book smart, at all. I listen to Thresh and Katniss's conversation.

"He's acting really weird." Katniss whispers.

"Yea, he really likes you." Thresh tells her.

"Stop it! I feel guilty but I like Cato."

"I'm not trying to make you feel guilty, I'm just telling you the truth."

"I feel like my feelings are hurting his. He's my friend and I'm hurting him."

"Look, Peeta will eventually move on."

"I hope so. By the way do you care if I hang out with Cato and his friends at lunch today?" she asks.

"I think we're all okay with that except for..." he points to me.

"It's fine." I tell her emotionlessly.

She doesn't talk to me the rest of the day, I feel bad for making her feel bad.