Chapter 39 Tough Position

Chapter 39

Katniss Pov.

I wake up and talk to Cash for awhile. She tells me about her boyfriend, his name is Cody. She showed me a picture of him and he's not bad looking. I wonder why she didn't ask Cato if she could bring him on the trip. We talk a little longer and then I see Fox's car pull up. What is she doing here? I see Cato run out and hug her. Are they? No. There's no way. The most popular guy in school would not date the least popular girl in school. Or would he? The question I'm trying hardest to answer is why I feel so jealous. I'm so confused as to why she's here. I decide to go downstairs.

"Hey Kat!" Cato says waving to me.

I wave back and he walks over to me. "What is she doing here?" I ask.

"Katniss I've decided that I needed to move on. I asked her out." he grins. "Are you jealous?"

"No, of course not." I lie and hide it with a toothless smile.

"Good. I'll see you tonight at dinner with everyone else." he says

"See you then." I walk away. I still don't know why she's here, if he was a good friend he wouldn't invite her. I'm just gonna ignore him. I tell Jojo and Annie that she's here.

"She better leave, or I'll make her." Jojo says, gritting her teeth.

"Let's just ignore her," I suggest.

"You should know why she's here Katniss." Annie says.

"Why is she here?" I ask.

"Cato's obviously trying to make you jealous," she tells me and I try to stop from blushing at the idea that he hasn't actually moved on. "Is it working?"

"A little. I guess. But isn't that normal to get jealous when your ex is dating someone else?" I ask.

"Yea I guess that's normal," she says "but I don't get jealous easy."

"I'll see you later, I'm gonna take a walk and try to clear my head." I tell them.

"Okay, see you soon." Jojo says.

I walk outside and wander into tothe snowy forest. I sit up against a tree covered in snow. The snow slowly falls off of it, landing on me. I get up because I have so much of it on my shoulders. I walk deeper into the woods and then I hear footsteps in the woods. For some reason my hearing has always been advanced. I can hear anything nearby me. I turn around to see Cato, I keep walking.

"Kat! Wait up!" he yells. I don't stop. "I guess you are jealous."

I turn around, "I am not jealous! I think you're stupid for dating a crazy person like her!" I yell.

"Why shouldn't I date her?" he asks, with his stupid grin covering his face.

"Because, you deserve better." I tell him. I don't know where that sentence came from.

"Who do I deserve?" he asks his face now serious.

"I....umm...umm...i...i.... I don't know. Someone whose not a complete psycho." I tell him. The jealousy takes over, I can't stop myself from saying, "you should be with someone who appreciates everything about you. Like, like... m.... me."

"Do you like me?" he asks.

"I don't know what to do now Cato. Because yes, I do like you, and Peeta." I confess.

"There's no confusion for me," he says and I give him a confused look. "I only brought her here so that I could make you a little jealous. I'm sorry for putting you in this position."

"It's okay, I think I would've been put in this position anyways." I tell him.

He hugs me and whispers, "You'll think about it, right?"

"Yea, I'll think a lot."