Jealous, Seaweed Brain?

A/N: -spoiler alert if you haven't read of blood of Olympus- 

At the end of Blood of Olympus, Annabeth speaks about how they are finishing high school TOGETHER in New York to Nico before going to college in New Rome together as well. At this exact moment in time, Percy and Annabeth would be going through the first few weeks of university. But let's rewind a couple months, and see how the whole high school living nearby each other went. I'm going to experiment with that this chapter.

It's also inspired by the movie 'The First Time'.

****

PERCY POV

I was driving home from school and Annabeth was sitting shotgun next to me. I was in Paul's Prius. I was really hoping for a car for my eighteenth birthday... I know it's a little expensive, and I don't expect it from my Mom, but if my dad could somehow... I don't know. There's just never really a place for Annabeth and me to properly be alone.

I reached over and took her hand from her lap and entwined it with mine, resting it on the armrest. Annabeth's been helping me pass the senior year, and she really has helped... I mean, I'm doing more than passing, and my mom couldn't be more than overjoyed. It wasn't that bad on my half, either. It'll mean I get into that New Rome university with her, and also I just get to spend time with her. 

"Your friends are really nice," she says, putting a strand of blonde hair behind her ear. I'm watching her through the rearview mirror. "The ones on the swim team?" I asked, and she nods. I wonder if they are too friendly though... that guy who thinks he's a better swimmer than me, Thomas, was chatting Annabeth up earlier today and I couldn't go interfere because the Coach was speaking to me about the responsibilities of my role as team captain.

"How's... Thomas? What do you think of him?" I asked her, as casually as possible. "He's sweet," she says nonchalantly, watching buildings pass by the window. "How sweet?" I asked. She turned to me and raised an eyebrow, "Just sweet. Why?"

"I was just wondering. What were you guys talking about today, anyway?" I ask, my smoothness wearing off. "Nothing much. Weekend plans, that kind of thing," she waved it off like it was no big deal. "Nothing much?? Weekend plans - that's like...like he's trying to ask you out or something. What did YOU say??" I said. Okay, so I know my chill level is like -5. Could you blame me? Some dude's trying to STEAL my girlfriend.

"Are you jealous, Seaweed Brain?" she said, a smirk playing on her lips. "Jealous? Of what? What is there to be jealous of?" I say. "There's nothing to be jealous of, but you seem a little tense around the name 'Thomas' for some reason," she said. "I don't know... maybe because he's trying to steal my girlfriend!" I said, my grip tightening on the wheel. "Ohmygods, you ARE jealous!" she says, laughing. 

"Would you not laugh?" I say, feeling annoyed. "Okay, okay, I'm sorry. But for the record, Thomas is just some guy on your swim team to me. I don't care about him," she said assuringly. I knew that- I mean, it's not that I don't trust her, we've been through TARTARUS for crying out loud, I love her so much and... well, you get the picture. 

"So your helping me pass the algebra test tomorrow," I said, hoping my change of subject would distract her. It did. "Oh, wow. Since when was Percy Jackson so interested in math?" she said teasingly. "Since Annabeth Chase began teaching it to him," I said, wiggling my eyebrows. She turned towards the window again and I see the blush creeping up from the sides of her face that she was trying to hide.

When Annabeth and I study... well, let's just say 'studying' is not all we do. 

***

We reached my apartment and Mom was inside, sorting her handbag out. "Paul, have you seen my sunglasses?" she asks, and Paul comes out dressed nicely, holding his wallet. "Yeah, it's on the counter," he points out, and she grabs it and stuffs it in her handbag. "Woah, woah. What's going on here?" I ask. "Paul and I are going to a friend's birthday party," Mom says.