Garen stared at the prince, and his ever gentle smile when dealing with sensitive matters. Yet, he was a lion on the battlefield, fierce and unrelenting, showing no mercy to those who threatened his kingdom. He would make a fine king, and Garen would be there to witness the day. Ever caring in the problems of those who served under him, a great friend indeed. They had shed sweat, blood, and tears together. It was a stable, if not tragic friendship they endured, growing ever closer as the war raged on, and more lives were taken from their ranks. "You're going to turn soft if you keep talking like that," Garen scolded, straightening out his bow tie.

With the final preparations in place, the two made their way down the hall, Garen tugging at his attire to loosen it even for just a second. He paused as he spotted his sister, her dress was breathtaking, but her smile even more so. Jarvan nudged him, and the Might of Demacia cleared his throat, adjusting his bow tie and taking confident strides forward, complimented her dress, as he always had in the past.

"Aw shucks, you're not bad looking yourself," Lux teased. Garen smiled, but didn't overthink it, it was simple banter between siblings, as it should be, he chided himself. The party moved down the hall, the guards keeping a respectful distance from the crown prince as Garen trailed at his side. Xin Zhao and Quinn lingered behind, discussing past encounters, and glancing around, Garen felt a warmth in his chest. They were a part of his family too. 

Garen usually tried his hardest to avoid such events, and for the most part, it worked wonders. After all, no one would expect the Might of Demacia at such a gala, not when he was stationed near the front lines, defending against Noxus' offense. Unfortunately, a series of unfortunate events and terrible timing landed him in the middle of a ballroom, feeling out of place, much like some of his peers.  

Jarvan was a natural at captivating the hearts of his people, while Quinn stuck to the shadows, observing the dancing couples with feigned interest. Xin Zhao was much too polite and took to greeting the lords and ladies who had come to be in attendance tonight, and as for Garen, he stood above the crowd, looking like the proud lion of Demacia he was. 

Lux, however, fit right in as she danced and laughed with fellow aristocrats, he knew these late-night gatherings brought a sense of normalcy to her life. Unlike Garen, Lux spent her days behind enemy lines, gathering intel and executing delicate missions that required paramount discretion, something beyond his skillset.  

As usual, Jarvan gathered the nobles' attention, a speech to pay tribute to another great year of prosperity and growth. It was heartfelt and inspiring despite the countless hours the crown prince had rehearsed his lines. After a half-hour and enough greetings shared, the moody swordsman slowly crept to the edge on the ballroom, taking a plate of cut apples on his way to joining Quinn. 

"Seems we were both unlucky, huh?" 

"Yes," Garen agreed with a bitter bite, scanning his plate for which apple to eat. The worst part was being requested to part with his trusty sword during such events. That was a sacrifice each of them had to make, except Quinn, she always kept a dagger handy somewhere on her person. The two remained quiet, Quinn stealing an apple off his plate when he wasn't looking, but Garen didn't mind, his gaze was fixed on Lux. Finally, his eyes met Jarvan's, and he scowled as the prince urged him to make his move. 

With a sigh, the Demacian handed his plate to Quinn and marched towards Lux, grabbing a champagne glass and downing it in one gulp. However, before he could arrive at his destination, a young blonde beat him to it, a cocky smile plastered on the boy's face. Renewing his resolve, Garen approached his sister and smiled politely towards the young man. "Ezreal, I'm glad you could attend, is it alright if I steal my sister for one dance?" 

"Of course not," the young adventurer chuckled, kissing Lux's hand with a promise to return. Garen should have felt a flame burning in his chest at the gesture, but he didn't. Instead, he felt somewhat relieved. So, he took his sister's hand and led her to the middle of the ballroom, placing a hand on her waist and making sure to retain a respectful distance. 

"It has been a while since we last danced together," Lux whispered with a heartwarming smile. 

"I fondly remember when you used to dance on my toes as a child, and now you are a better dancer every time I see you, dear sister." 

"Well, I learned from the best, dear brother." Garen chuckled, shaking his head. Lux was more than his sister, she was his pillar, and the shoulder he leaned on. She was his friend, and as childish as it might sound coming from him, she was his best friend, and while he valued his friendship with the crown prince, Lux was his precious baby sister, and he would not compromise that for anything in the world. The realization was enough to squash whatever delusions had taken hold of him. 

Their friendly banter and everything in between meant the world to him, and a saddened smile crossed his lips, shame enveloping him, his thoughts had been appalling. "Are you okay?" Lux asked, as their rhythm came to an end, and he glanced at his sister. 

"Yes, a huge burden has just been lifted from my shoulders. I'll always love you," Garen smiled, kissing her forehead as he untangled himself from her hold. "I believe a certain explorer is waiting for you." 

"It's not like that-we're not...yet," Lux mumbled under her breath, and Garen rolled his eyes, giving her a gentle shove in his direction. The boy was head over heels for her, and it was only a matter of time before they got together. Besides, he had seen them steal away, sharing passionate kisses when they thought no one was looking. Despite his sister's proclivity towards stealth operations, he swore they lost a few brain cells when paired together. Still, the boy was a good influence, and his heart held nothing but good intentions. 

Returning to his isolated corner, he was disappointed that Quinn was no longer there, but Jarvan was quick to take her place. "I trust it went well?" 

"Very well. You could say I've made my peace with it. I suppose I have you to thank. You are a good friend, my prince, and the vows I made to you years ago...I will stand by them until my last breath. My sword is yours to command." 

"You can be so dramatic at times," Jarvan chuckled. 

"As long as my sister is happy, I will uphold my duty to serve and protect as her elder brother." 

"I'm glad you have found peace with yourself, my friend. Know that I will always be there in your time of need; that is my vow to you, Garen."

Tried to make this more wholesome since I was rewriting it anyway, hope you enjoyed it.