Chapter 22

MIKAYLA'S POV

~after "check up"~

I hung my head low as I walked down the steps. I just wanted to drive far away but I guess I can't do that. Everything I do is always messed up by my family, even if I don't count them as my family. I hated that this is how bad it has gotten.

Stuck at a friends house with a sister I only found out about a week ago, a fuckboy who's hitting on me hard, and a pair of love birds. If I just would've let my dad and Haylee's dad take me home with them my dad would still be home, and none of these freaks would be here. Yeah I'd have a bunch more cuts and bruises, but I wouldn't be where I was now.

I quickly made my way to the game room and stepped over all the board games and remotes. I made it to the couch on the side of the wall as tears threatened to spill over. I knew why this time, because if I don't follow rules I might die. Or worse, the little girl could die. She's only around 5 years old, that isn't fair.

I curled up on the couch next to the arm rest and softly cried into my knees. I heard footsteps near and the door to the room open and close. A soft sigh broke the silence and the couch dipped next to me. I stayed in the ball as the person pulled me into their side. It wasn't a small built person, ruling out Haylee and her mom. And no doubt Luke would even think about following me. The only one left was Jake.

His heart beats steadily as did his breaths. Not one off. I listened to his breathing and heart rate for a while before I stopped crying. I looked up at him to see small tears escaping his eyes.

I wiped his tear then pressed my ear against his chest again. His arms gripped me a slight bit tighter as he pulled me the rest of the way into hip lap. I nuzzled my head into the crook of his neck and just breathed in his axe scent.

The vision of my mom and my dad fighting when I was younger popped into my brain and I just sat and watched as it slowly became more clear.

I was sitting on my bed in my room watching my mom yell at my dad who had just gotten home from work. The reason? I walked out of my room to use the bathroom. I watched as my dad, the accountant, took off his tie and throw it on the bed next to me. I grabbed it and neatly folded it.

I watched as my mom, the stay at home mom who's always drunk, grabbed me and shook me like a rag doll on the air in front of my dad. I just kept my mouth shut and watched as my dad grabbed me from my mom. He tossed me back on the bed and stepped in front of me. I was confused. Usually my dad just let's her do whatever but none of it was okay. She'd get one look at me and he's yell something like "don't you even dare." Or something.

I looked to the door to see my two brothers were holding the youngest and my older brother was holding Sammy back from trying to get me.

Alex, was my older brother. I don't think he likes me very much. He likes to call me names and tell me I'm not good and I'm worthless. He likes to tell me I'm the problem with the family.

Sammy was a couple minutes older Dean and Dean was a whole hour younger than I. We were triplets. Sammy always stood up for me and Dean was always blaming his messes on me. Even though I was older they treated me like the youngest.

The youngest name is Jarod. He doesn't do much but cry and scream. Sometimes when he screams mom yells at me for it. She says he's yelling just because I'm in the same house as him.

Yeah. I was the only girl. And my mom hit me a lot. But I know she will always love me like she does the boys. I mean she has too doesn't she?

I was pulled up by my ear and thrown against the wall. I whined in pain and tried to push myself up but it only ended up with me seeing black. I woke up to a bright light and loud beeping sounds. I looked around confused as whispered started filling the room I looked around to see nobody in with me. The whispered became louder causing me to jump a bit. I closed my eyes and grabbed my ears trying to make it quieter.