Parenthood

Focus on the top one in the picture. The song will be important later.

Your POV

We all spent a couple hours visiting. Everyone was joking around, asking questions about Toby, eating pizza, and overall, having a good time. You could tell Emerson was nervous at first, but then she started talking to Luna, and eventually your parents, and she got comfortable around everyone.

Eventually, everyone left to go home or to their hotel rooms. Emerson already went to bed a little while ago, and you went upstairs to put Toby in his crib.

You joined Ethan downstairs in the kitchen. He was pouring the both of you a glass of one of the wines your mom brought.

He handed you one, smiling. "Thought you would want one."

You took it, holding it out. "To parenthood."

He clinked your glasses together. "To parenthood." You took a sip.

"So, what should we do?" You asked him, setting your glass down.

He did the same. "I don't know. We could watch a movie, or something?"

You smiled. "But we're engaged! We should do something fun!"

He grinned. "Don't you wanna be next to me? Don't you wanna cuddle? Isn't that fun?"

Your smile grew wider, and you blushed. "Yeah, it is."

He took another sip of his wine. "Let's finish our wine, then we can go upstairs and watch a movie. Sound good?" You nodded, drinking your glass.

When the two of you were finished, you put your empty glasses in the sink and made your way upstairs to your bedroom. Ethan changed in the bedroom, as usual, while you changed into a tank top and a pair of gym shorts in the bathroom. You walked out when you were done, and found Ethan lying down on the bed, a movie already put into the TV.

He grinned at you. "This is different."

You blushed. "I... just wanted to be comfortable."

He pressed play. "I like it."

You turned around and turned off the lights, letting Ethan get a clear shot of your bare shoulders.

"Hang on a minute." You froze in place, and Ethan crawled out of the bed, walking up to you. He put a hand over your shoulder, dragging his finger across the skin. "When did you get this?"

You were confused for a moment, before remembering- when you turned 18, you and your mom got matching tattoos. It was a purple and black feather with birds coming out of one end, and the word "Daughter" coming out of the other. Your mom's had the same thing, only the word "Mother".

You blushed. "I got it when I was 18. Mom and I got matching ones."

Ethan hugged you from behind. "I love it. It's beautiful." He let go, and you turned around, facing him in the dark. "Come on, let's get in bed." He pulled you over to the bed, and the both of you climbed in, Ethan lying on his back and you on your side, your head on Ethan's chest.

Pretty soon, your eyes began to close. Ethan smiled, messing with your hair. "You're amazing. You're beautiful. You're talented. And you're mine." He kissed your hair. "I can't believe it."

You yawned. "Love you, Ethan."

"Love you, babe."

You fell asleep on Ethan's chest.
---------------
You awoke slowly in the darkness. You barely moved since you fell asleep. You looked at the alarm clock- 3:27 in the morning.

Why am I awake?

Just then, you heard the noise that woke you up- crying.

You slowly got out of the bed, careful as to not disturb your fiance. You quickly and quietly walked over to the door, opening and closing it as silently as possible. You made your way over to the baby room, slipping in.

Toby was awake in the crib, wailing. You flicked on a lamp and walked over, picking him up and bouncing him slightly. "Shush, it's okay. I'm here." You walked over to the mini fridge and pulled out the milk, grabbing a baby bottle and skillfully poured the milk into it with one hand. You put the cap back on the milk and put it back in the mini fridge.

You held he bottle up, and Toby calmed down a little bit, drinking the milk. You decided to sing a little bit to calm him down more.

Have you ever felt like
Nobody was there?
Have you ever felt forgotten
In the middle of nowhere?
Have you ever felt like
You could disappear?
Like you could fall,
And no one would hear

Well,
Let that lonely feeling
Wash away
Maybe there's a reason
To believe
You'll be okay

'Cause,
When you don't feel strong enough
To stand
You can reach
Reach out your hand

And, oh,
Someone will come running
And, I know,
They'll take you home

Even when the dark comes crashing through
When you need a friend to carry you
And when you're broken on the ground
You will be found
So let the sun come streaming in
Cause you'll reach up, and you'll rise again
Lift your head and look around
You will be found

You looked down at Toby, who was calm and looked a little tired. He stopped drinking the milk, so you pulled it away and set it down in the fridge.

"Beautiful." You suddenly looked up at the doorway, startled, until you realized who it was and relaxed.

"I thought you were asleep." You told Ethan.

He shrugged. "I can never sleep when you're not around. I can tell when you're not sleeping, and I can tell when you're not with me anymore." He looked around. "This is really cool. Your family did this?"

You smiled. "Actually, Amy and Kathryn did this. With a little bit of help from Emerson, of course." Ethan dropped his jaw, and you giggled.

You looked back down at Toby, and saw that he was asleep again. You walked back over to the crib and put him in it, covering him up with the blanket Mark bought at the hospital.

Ethan walked over to you and wrapped his arms around you, placing his chin on your shoulder. "I love this little family."

You rested your head against Ethan's, placing your hands over his. "I do, too."

Word Count: 1049