Gifts

Your POV

"We're here!" You exclaimed, getting out of the rental car. Amy and Kathryn followed you inside.

Your grandmother looked up at you from the dining table and smiled. "There you are. Here." She handed you an envelope.

"Read it out loud!" Amy said. You opened the envelope and took the paper out, letting the envelope fall to the floor. A key ring with a single key fell out of it. Kathryn grabbed it and looked at it.

My dearest granddaughter,

These will be my last words to you. I know how much you wished I could live forever, but God has made me a place up in Heaven, and he wanted me there.

You may be wondering what the key is for. I'll get to that in a little bit.

I gave all of my grandchildren something of mine, whether it was as small as a bullet shell, or as big as one of my rifles. When it came to deciding your gift, I couldn't think of anything. There were so many things of mine that you liked, I couldn't decide which one to give you.

Until I remembered something. Look in the garage.

You folded the letter up and put it back in the envelope, setting it on the table. "Amy, record this and send it to Ethan." She nodded and pulled out her phone, recording. "Follow me." Everyone in the room followed you outside to the back of the house. "Grandma, do you have the key to the garage?" She nodded and pulled it out of her jeans pocket. You turned the key on the door and lifted it up to reveal a truck.

Not just any truck. Your grandpa's truck. The truck you loved so much since you were little. A midnight blue, 2003 Dodge Ram 1500, with the tires so huge you literally had to jump up to get in it.

You dragged your hand over the hood to the driver's side door. "Are you fucking serious?" You whispered to yourself. You opened the door and slowly climbed in, sitting in the driver's seat.

"What is it?" Kathryn asked.

"Grandpa's truck." You answered. You opened the glove box and found another envelope inside. You opened it up and took out the letter inside. You got out and went to the front of the truck, reading it out loud.

Yes, I am not kidding. The truck is yours. It's paid off, nothing needs repairs, and there is an insurance on it. All you have to do is put it under your name.

I hope you like your little gift, and I hope you use it well.

Sincerely,
Your grandfather

You folded the letter back up. "Wait, if the truck is mine, how am I gonna bring it with me back to LA?" You ask aloud.

"Oh boy." Amy said, biting her lip.

"You might have to keep it here." Kathryn answered, handing you the key.

"But it's yours. You shouldn't have to keep it here." Your grandmother stated.

Amy ended the video and sent it to Ethan. Almost instantly, your phone rang. You answered it quickly, not bothering to see who's calling you. "Hello?" You asked.

"Drive it over here." Ethan said quickly.

"A-are you sure? That's a long drive!" You exclaim, biting your lip.

"I'm sure." Ethan stated. "The truck obviously means a lot to you. You need to have it. You need to bring it."

"You're absolutely positive. You can bear not seeing me for another day or two." You said, not sure.

"I'm absolutely positive. Besides, we can call each other while you're on the road."

"O-okay. I'll do it. I'll leave early in the morning."

"See you when you get back."

"Bye." You hung up and looked at Amy and Kathryn. "You two are taking the plane back to LA." You turned towards the truck. "I'll drive."