Chapter 31: Textbook Reading

D-07 →PROM

After dinner last night, Hayley went home and Tracie went straight to bed. This morning, she woke up, feeling excited as today was the day she was going to find her dress. A dress to a probably dateless prom. But that is not stopping Tracie from looking good and feeling good. Besides, it is prom. Tracie got ready for school and out she went, avoiding Momma's question about Alexander.

Tracie saw Alexander exiting his house. Their eyes met. And for a moment, it seemed like Alexander wanted to call her but stopped himself from doing so and entered his car. Tracie was dumbfounded. She did not exactly expect Alexander to offer her ride but at the same time was hurt that Alexander did not offer her a ride. Confused and hungry, Tracie made her way to the bus stop, just in time to catch the early bus.

Tracie reached school and attacked the canteen. She regretted avoiding Momma's question that has cost her her breakfast. She took a seat the usual table where the girls usually sit, except that she was currently alone. Once she was done eating, she decided to annoy one of her friends. She chose to annoy Lily because her mom usually drive her so no danger for her to text.

Heeeeeyyyyyy where you at baby? - Tracie

I feel so lonely, hurry up - Tracie

y u no reply? - Tracie

must be textin ur bae, who am i? :-( - Tracie

girl you must be thirsty, be there in 5 mins or not, no promises - Lily

Satisfied, Tracie decided to walk around the school. She went to the bulletin board and read any article her eyes rested on. She read about hearing loss in teenagers, burning down of forests and other variety of things. Then she came upon a paper that was requesting for volunteers to decorate the hall for prom. And coincidentally, there was only one space left and without thinking twice, she wrote her name. She then read the details and was happy that she could somehow be a part of something big. Also, with volunteering, she would spend less time thinking about Alexander or Mr. Anonymous.

Students start to pour into the hallway. Tracie spotted her friends and they all gushed about how they are going shopping later. Cleo also mentioned that her dad will close down the boutique for them so that they would have the boutique all to themselves. Tracie then tells them that she had volunteered for decorating for prom,which was met with laughter from the rest of the girls. Because Tracie is not that artistic or creative but they applauded for her nevertheless.

The school day went by with loads of awkard eye contact with Alexander. Vanessa was around 5 metre radius around Alexander but not as close as the day before. Tracie felt happier somehow about the distance between Vanessa and her currently-unsure-label, Alexander. The girls exited the school and Cleo,Hayely and Shawna went to get their cars. Lily and Tracie waited for them while they decide who to follow. Tracie decided to go with Cleo as she had not been in Cleo's car for a while. Lily went with Shawna,leaving Hayley all alone. They then drove to Cleo's dad's boutique, Beauty And The Dress.

Tracie was out and entered the shop, not tripping once, and greeted Cleo's dad. He then told her to take her time to look at the dresses and ask him if she needs any help. The rest of the girls joined her shortly after. Tracie was about to head towards the floor-lenth dresses area when Cleo's dad told her, "Honey, you are going to prom,dancing, not some red carpet show." Hearing what he said, she joined the others at the knee-length dresses. She then grabbed a dress at random and went to the changing room to try it on. And Lady Luck was smiling at her as she felt that this was the dress for her. It had white lace at the top part and baby blue flowy skirt as the bottom part. Tracie changed out of it and waited for the other girls.

They each got their dresses and had a silent agreement to show each other the dress on the day of prom. Cleo then pushed Tracie towards her car as Tracie was complaining how tired she was from waiting and how she did not feel like walikng to the car and also how she wanted to make the boutique her second home. Cleo dropped her off at her house and she bid goodbye before entering the house.

She decided to hang the dress in Momma's and Papa's closet as she knows that if she kept it in hers, she would try it every other hour. She then entered the kitchen and saw Gramps drinking his coffee. She whined at him how her legs hurt and how tired she felt. Gramps just waved her off and ordered her to take a bath as Momma and Papa had went to buy Shepherd's pie for the whole family. And in a split second, Tracie was on the stairs, rushing to bath before they got home with the food.

Momma and Papa returned just after Tracie finished combing her hair. They called out their children and all of them tumbled down the stairs. Tracie was the first to enter the kitchen and saw Todd sitting and eating. She engulfed him in a teddy bear hug and he was close to choking before earning a glare from Momma. Turns out, Todd had helped his friend to set up a pie shop . Therefore, he was here to promote it.

Tracie took a pie and started eating it. It was delicious and she could not stop praising the pie. Todd then asked Tracie if she would like to work there. Tracie raised an eyebrow and Todd said that workers get free pie everyday. Tracie just shrugged the offer off, saying that Momma and Papa can still tqke care of her living costs.

She then dragged Momma and Papa to their room and showed them the dress. They bothe praised her for getting such a ladylike dress that is pretty. Tracie just gloat at their praises and excused herself to her bedroom. She felt a little bored so she started to read her English textbook at her balcony.

Alexander just finished his dinner and decided to lounge at the balcony. He then recalled all the times he and Tracie had shared at the balcony. And how things were just haywire right now. He stood at the balcony and noticed Tracie who was now engrossed in reading her textbook. He was just about to call her out when Tracie got up and entered her room,not noticibg his presence at all.

Tracie felt tired after reading her textbook so she decided to re-enter her bedroom. She locked the door and got things ready for tomorrow. She then slept while imagining her danicing around the dress.