Sixty-Two

I wake up in a hospital room.

I know it is a hospital room, I know the smell of it and I can hear them talking about me. This isn't the first time this happened, yet it's the worst because I know I blacked out.

"What happened?" Dad asks them. He probably just got here. I wouldn't really know.

"Sir, we don't really know, Lou?" Madz answers and then asks, she probably turned to Lou.

"She blacked out, that's all I know," Lou answers. A side of my lips slightly pull upward as he didn't say anything else. He knows fully well why I blacked out.

"Well, she was really against the arcade," Collin comments.

"Who are you?" Dad asks and the room had gone completely silent. I wasn't watching yet I can feel their tension all throughout the room.

"I'm Collin, Taylor's friend," says Collin, breaking off the icy atmosphere.

"We'll talk later. Louis?"

"Yes, sir?"

"A word, outside." It's an order so I hear footsteps walking outside.

I hear their quiet discussion with my mom later about what happened but all they can say is that they really don't know.

Waking up in a hospital, not knowing what time it is seems to be getting into habit now.

"Does anyone -- anyone know what time it is?" I ask, partially regretting the first statement but it already got out.

"Taylor!" All of them exclaims at the same time, except Collin though. He's really less reactive than the rest of my friends and I can really understand why.

Then, they start going around my bed, last one to do so is Collin.

Mom asks me a load of question about how I'm feeling and such, reminding me of the last time this happened. Amazing how events often happen similarly but definitely not the same way as before.

Then, it's my friends' turn.

"You okay?" Isabelli asks.

"Lying in a hospital bed right now, what do you think?" I ask, partly smiling.

"Nice to see you alive again," Collin says and laughs. I smile at him but the rest of them doesn't. "Hey, it's a joke. It's a joke."

"I know," I say before a second of silence gets out.

"So what happened?" Madz asks.

I shrug a bit, "I don't really know. I just blacked out and then, I'm here." Complete lie. Louis would know it is one but he's right outside.

Collin sits on the side of the bed and then says, "Does that happen often?"

I look at my mom first and all she knows is it's the first time. I black out a lot but mostly, I run to my room before everything happens. The worst attack was the last time, that's it.

"No," I lie.

"And yet you don't seem too stoked," he comments, making Madz and Isabelli look at each other. They probably think Collin has it right and. . . he is right. "Ha, just kidding. Do you want me to get you anything?"

"Look, if you want to leave, the door is open," Madz grumbles. I know she doesn't like Collin but I really don't mind it. Madz really has her way of showing her certain distates in a lot of things.

"Yeah, maybe I'd like to. Then, I'd get to get away from your English smart-talk," he mutters, partly glaring at her.

"This English smart-talker you're talking about is currently a lawyer in training so you better know when to reach your limits, Corner."