In A Matter Of Ten Seconds

Start from the beginning

“Oh, yeah,” I giggled nervously, “I’m fine. How about you- I mean ah… is your ball okay… Oh! I didn’t mean-,” I let out a deep breath and smiled, “Thanks for asking.”

The guy made butterflies flutter in my stomach. I'd never really had a boyfriend because of Adam. I'd been on dates and everything, but I usually had to talk to the guys first. Adam was so intimidating. this was really new for me. And I loved it. It was like an adrenaline rush, it made my head feel like, all because of this one boy.

He had this undeniably beautiful smirk on his face, like he found me so cute and amusing, “No problem. It’s not your fault my friends can’t throw a ball.”

I smiled slightly feeling more at ease, “Well, I can’t really throw one either.”

“Then I’ll have to show you," he grinned.

When I hesitated he pouted sarcastically, “Come on. It’s the least I can do since my friends hit you.”

“Um, okay,” I giggled.

He stood up first and then pulled my hand delicately to help me up too. I landed against his warm chest and he smiled down at me.

He spent the rest of the day teaching me to throw a football and flirting with me. It felt so good to be wanted by a boy.

When I think about it now I wonder if I would've been more equipped to handle this if Adam had let me have a love life. But I hated to think it it was his fault so I often refused to think about it. Besides it was all my fault. For letting Jake pull me in and listening to every word thinking it was honest. I didn't have to sleep with him, but I did. And I had no one to blame, but myself- even Jake.

Right before his friends dragged him away he gave me a kiss on the lips. It was quick and soft, but it was nice and made the butterflies come out again.

He pulled back from me slightly to whisper in my ear, “Would you like you go out with me.”

I grinned and nodded, my head was still next to his. It’s hard for me to believe it was all fake and he was just one good actor.

Of course Chace was different from Jake. Chace won’t hurt me like that. He couldn’t hurt me like that, I was his best friend’s little sister. At the same time I thought, did I really want to be in a relationship where the only reason he’s staying is because of my brother? No, probably not.

Stop, I told myself, Adam is definitely not the reason Chace is asking you to be his girlfriend. It couldn't be and if I never sensed that it was I;d quickly break it off with him to avoid hurting either of us.

I nodded my head because if I opened my mouth it might’ve said no. He smiled- a genuine smile not one of his famous smirks- and kissed me softly again.

“But,” I spoke up suddenly, grabbing his attention, when I remembered Adam, “we can’t tell anyone.”

“Why?” he asked sounding confused and almost annoyed. Great, I thought, the second Chace and I were together I pissed him off. At least we had passion.

“Adam,” I reminded him.

“Oh yeah,” he said simply, but then his eyes got dark as he growled, “What about Jake?”

“What about him? The only one I’m telling is Aaron,” I clarified.

Chace looked me square in the eyes, “I want him to back off.”

My lips twitched up at that sentence. I was making Chace jealous. I'd made him blush multiple times, I got a genuine smile, and I made him jealous. This is what it must be like to be one of those beautiful girls who get everything they want. That was a great moment and I was going to bask in the glory despite him.

He glared at me, “It’s not funny.”

“I wasn’t laughing,” I retorted, but was stifling a laugh at the same time. I thought he could tell.

He grumbled and pulled me even harder against him until he was almost crushing me against him. Not that I minded. He could've done anything and I wouldn't have minded. Gosh, that sounded so dirty. I didn't mean it like that. After dating Jake I knew to be careful. I had become careful.

“So you’re jealous of Jake?” I teased.

“I’m not jealous,” he snapped.

“You sound jealous,” I giggled.

He moved back a little to give me the evil eye. I laughed and pulled his head to me again so I could kiss him. I tangled my fingers into his hair and pulled slightly. Before our kiss went any farther I broke away to his dismay, but I couldn't help teasing him. He'd teased me for so long a little pay back wouldn't kill him.

“Chace is jealous,” I sang with and playful smirk.

A/N: I'm thinking a lot of you all liked this chapter? Most, or even all, of you guys were routing for Chace AND you got to learn how Jake and Skye met. Sorry, but I've got a little soft spot for Jake. I guess you all will figure out why later.