Chapter 20

"So, how do you feel about this one?"

Camila walked around the kitchen island in thought. It was a beautiful kitchen, as beautiful as the ten other kitchens they have seen all morning.

"How do I feel," she pondered. "I feel like it doesn't matter what I say, Lo. You're buying a house. You should be the one to like it."

The realtor chuckled and Lauren let out a groan. She hasn't asked Camila to move in, but she asked the smaller girl to go with her to look at some houses. She has been dropping hints, without actually saying move in. She was terrified of taking that big of step with her girlfriend but more scared that Camila wouldn't want to.

"Babe, please – can you just...like...I don't know, be helpful."

Camila laughed at how stressed Lauren sounded. "Alright, alright. I think this house is too big for just you." Lauren rolled her eyes. "Apollo will get lost, you won't find him for days. He'll die of starvation and then I'm going to have to break up with you for murdering the love of my life. I don't want to have to break up you," she pouted, "I kinda like you."

"That's not even helpful," Lauren grumbled.

"It's too white. Too shiny and brand-new. It doesn't suit you," Camila added, "Better?"

Lauren shrugged, "So, it's a no."

Camila laughed, "If you like it, then it's a yes."

The singer threw her hands up and turned to the realtor, "Where's the next house, Emily?"

"Oh! Can the next house be on the beach! Lo, I would visit you all the time if you lived on a beach," Camila smiled. "Aw, can you imagine Apollo falling around in the sand," her smiled grew even more.

Lauren stared at her lovingly. She cringed when Camila said she would visit her, but nonetheless the younger girl's excitement gave her butterflies.

The singer turned to her realtor, "Got any beachfront properties?"

Emily nodded, "There's a house a couple blocks from here. Maybe a four-minute drive. It's smaller than what you've been looking at."

"She needs smaller," Camila interjected. "Babe, I really don't know why you're looking at such huge houses."

Lauren sighed, "Come on, Camz. Emily text me the address. I'll meet you there, we might take a little long," she said pulling Camila out of the house, "My girlfriend drives slow."

The brunette's eyes nearly popped out of her head. Lauren has helped get over her fear of driving, but she actually hasn't driven on the road yet.

After failing her written exam a few times, she finally got her permit. She learned how to simply sit in the driver's seat without panicking, then she learned how to turn the car on without panicking. It was a true testament to Lauren's newfound patience.

Eventually, Camila was driving in very slow circles in an empty parking lot. She was proud of herself for getting that far but she wasn't sure if she was ready to take on an actual street, with other cars.

"No way, babe," she protested standing outside of Lauren's car.

"Look Camz, the next house is a few blocks away, a couple of turns. You got this, there's practically no one on the street," Lauren tried convincing her.

Camila hummed in thought, "I'll be safe?"

"I'd never let anything happen to you. You've driven my car, you know it has autobraking and blind spot detection. You'll be safe, baby. I know you can do this, you're ready."