Chapter 8

A day has gone by and neither Lauren nor Camila had reached out to one another. It was Sunday afternoon and Camila was brooding around the house.

Ally got home from church and found her laying on the couch hanging upside down off it playing guitar and singing.

Some nerve you have,
To break up my lonely
And tell me you want me.
How dare you march into my heart.
Oh how rude of you
To ruin my miserable,
And tell me I'm beautiful –

"Okay, Mila. Can you stop being a big baby?" Ally cut off her singing. "Just call Lauren, tell her your sorry and move on."

"You're a big baby," Camila muttered under her breath. "She doesn't want to talk to me Ally, she would've hit me up. I'm just giving her space."

"So you're going to sit at home all day and sing sappy songs?"

Camila nodded and started strumming.

"No, come on." Ally snatched the guitar from Camila who pouted. "Let's go to our favorite coffee shop," she suggested and Camila quickly got off the couch to grab her converse.

She threw on her denim jacket and looked in the mirror before leaving. Her hair was loose and messy, she pushed it back a little and turned her face from side to side, her bruises have faded a little but still noticeable.

There was one on her cheek from the hit and three small ones along her jawline from him gripping her face. She applied some make up to them and left.

The coffee shop was about a fifteen-minute walk from Camila and Ally's apartment. They usually come once a week but haven't been there since winter break started.

When they entered, they were immediately greeted by the owner.

"Mis ninas!" the older man exclaimed.

"Hola Antonio," the girls greeted in unison.

He came around the counter to hug them. He was an older man in his mid-fifties. The kind of person that treated everyone who entered his shop as family, especially his regular customers.

The coffee shop was a nice size, about 15 tables. He has a very small stage with an acoustic guitar for open mic nights. It's the only place Camila would sing publicly because not many people would show up.

"Antonio I like the beard you have growing in," Ally said following the man to their table.

"Yes! It's – como se dice...scroofy," he replied excitedly with his thick Cuban accent.

"Scroofy?" Camila asked confused taking a seat.

"Si! Scroofy," he said again touching his beard.

It took a second to understand what he was saying, "You mean scruffy?" Camila laughed.

"That's what I said nena!" Antonio insisted. "So, you girls want two coffees and the usual?"

Both girls nodded and he left to get their order. Ally and Camila talked for a little while they waited. Camila complained about classes starting again. She was happy with her schedule, even though she would still have to go to campus on her off days sometimes for counseling.

Antonio came back with two coffees, a double chocolate brownie for Ally and a big chocolate chip cookie for Camila.

"Camila, the stage misses you," Antonio said. "You should play today!"

Camila laughed, "For you Antonio, I'll play anytime." She took a sip of her coffee closing her eyes, savoring the taste. It reminded her the coffee her mother used to make. "Whenever you decide to marry one of these abuelitas that come in here for you, I'll sing at your wedding," she joked.