Chapter 12

Trigger Warning: Drug use late in the chapter.

____________________________________

Camila walked about around Miami for almost two hours. She finally looked at her phone seeing that it was 5pm. She didn't want to open Lauren's texts or listen to her voicemail, she just can't imagine what the older girl must think. She must've embarrassed her in front of her family, she probably hates her.

Looking around in her old neighborhood, she took a deep breath. She knows her dad works late sometimes and boy was she glad to see that his car wasn't in the driveway. Halfway through walking around, she decided she needed to see Sofi.

Camila knocked on the door wondering whether or not her sister had a babysitter. The question was answered when her the little Cabello swung open the door, no sitter would allow a 7 year old open the door alone.

"Kaki!!" the little girl squealed. "What are you doing here?"

Camila bent down and hugged her sister, "I missed you Sof." When letting go she noticed her sister eyeing her clothes.

"I love your shirt!" Sofi said excitedly clapping her hands.

She looked down and saw the image of Lauren. "Oh um thanks. So um, when does papi get home?" she asked awkwardly.

"Well when I get home from school I usually watch 2 episodes of spongebob, and one episode of Sofia the First," she giggled saying her own name and it made Camila smile, "Then I do homework and he comes home in the middle of that."

Sofi grabbed Camila's hand by surprise and pulled her inside. She dragged her to the living room where Sofia the First was on the TV. Camila knew she had maybe 20 minutes with her sister.

They sat on the couch and Sofi climbed on top of her.

"How are you Sofi?" Camila asked.

"I miss you," Sofi said paying attention to the TV and absent mindedly playing with Camila's fingers. "And I miss Lauren. I text her a lot. She's busy a lot but texts back always."

"I'm sorry I don't," Camila apologized guiltily.

"It's okay Kaki," Sofi smiled. "I know you're busy."

From the corner of her eye, Camila saw a car park in front of her house. She squinted and knew who it was. She pulled out her phone to send a text.

C. Cabello: Not in front of the house.

She watched as the car drove to the corner and made a U-turn. It parked a couple of houses down across the street, then her phone buzzed.

Max: Let me know if you need anything. Take your time, not too much though your father should be home soon.

Camila felt a nervous feeling in her stomach. She knew that Max knew about her father and their relationship. He had seen the bruises and saw how scared she was when he approached her at the cemetery.

The show had ended and Sofi was talking about the annoying math homework she had to do. Camila smiled thinking about her younger self hating math as well. That's why she majors in English, it makes sense. Math and numbers, that doesn't make sense.

"Sofi," Camila said as she walked her sister to the dining room to do her homework. "I should go."

"What! No!" Sofi cried out.

Camila sighed, "You know Papi gets mad at me sometimes. I don't want him to get mad that I'm here right now. You can't tell him I came to visit, okay?"