Chapter 9- Stay In

Chapter 9
Stay In

Kimberly

2016

"So what's up with you?" Yazz asks me as we sit in his trailer at the Empire set.

I look up from my phone. "What you mean?"

"What's up with you? Like, what you and Algee doing?" Yazz asks again.

I shrug. I honestly don't know what's going on anymore. It's the middle of October and I truthfully have no idea where we are as friends or anything more. It's frustrating and mostly my fault. But what can I do when I'm so damaged? I want to be with Algee but I don't want to hurt him with my destructiveness.

"I️ don't know. Nothing." I shake my head.

"Maybe you need to move on from him. You know, focus on yourself or get a distraction. Your mom and aunts said it best." Yazz says offhandedly.

I just look at him. "What's up with you, Yazz?"

He looks away from me and at his phone. "Nothing. There's a girl I like but I'm not sure."

I sit up. "Ooh. Who is she?" He shakes his head so I pinch his arm. "What kind of best friend are you? Why won't you let me know?"

Yazz just looks at me. He doesn't have to say anything. I get it. "Oh," I sit back. "It's me, isn't it?"

Yazz sighs. "Yeah. Over the last few months I just realized that I like you as more than a best friend. It's weird honestly."

"Not too weird. Happens a lot with guy and girl best friends. Your feelings are real and I won't knock them," I pause. "I just don't feel exactly the same."

"That's fine. Just...give me a chance." Yazz asks softly.

"Bryshere, you know how I am. You know why I can't go to Algee. Why are you gonna ask for a chance?" I shake my head.

"I know. Just—" He's interrupted by a knock on the trailer door.

"Kim? Bryshere? We need you two on set." The stage manager says.

"Aight! We coming!" Yazz looks at me before helping me off the sofa and out the door.

"Are y'all ready to see more of Infectious?" Lucy smirks amongst the other cast members as she and JJ walk on set.

"And listen to your outstanding voices? Yes." Jussie Smollett smiles. He playfully bows to the three of us.

For this season of Empire, JKL are premiering as a sister girl group called Infectious. My character, Tyler Holmes, is Hakeem Lyon's best friend and love interest. She's trying to take over the Empire along with her sisters, Devon (Lucy) and Remi (JJ), through Hakeem and his daughter Bella. All three sisters are devious and have been easily manipulating the Lyons for years with their sweet personas and lack of interest in the company. But all of that is changing this season.

"I just can't get over how little sweet Kim T is playing the devious, deceptive Tyler Holmes." Grace Gealey- Byers who plays Anika Calhoun smiles.

"Honestly, do you even have a deceptive bone in your body, girl?" Taraji P. Henson asks.

"It's called acting, Momma Lyon." I flick my straightened hair back. I actually hate straightening my hair but my character— along with Lucy and JJ's characters— always have their hair bone straight.

"Alright," Lee Daniels claps his hands. "This scene will be the one with Infectious and Cookie. I'll give you five to look over the script."