Chapter 7- Girl

Chapter 7
Girl

Kimberly

2016

I can't believe I did that. Why did I do that? Why did I wait so long to do that? How could I do that to him and to myself? Did he really mean what he said?

It's been two weeks since Algee and I had sex and I can't get it out of my head.

"Kim," Lucy snaps me out of my thoughts as we work on our album. "Are you okay?"

She and JJ were staring at me as I stared off into the distance. "Uh, yeah. I'm fine." I nod.

"You sure?" JJ asks. I nod again. "Because you only get like this after you've...you know, had sex with someone you care about. Jamal, Yazz..."

She trials off, waiting for my reaction. "I guess." I shrug, still staring off blankly.

There's silence. "Who was it?" Lucy asks softly, breaking the silence.

"Algee." I answer.

"Kim, do you think that was smart? With everything that happened before?" JJ asks.

"No," I shrug. "I don't know. I wasn't thinking about the aftermath. I was thinking about how good it felt."

"So Algee turned yo ass out?" JJ asks with a smirk.

"No." I roll my eyes with a smirk. It quickly turns into a pout.

"Kim, he isn't Jamal or any other guy. You can't compare him to past guys. He's Algee. An entirely different person." Lucy says, reading my mind before I can even read it.

"A lot of guys are the same: They see something new and want it. Then they discard it once something newer and shinier comes along," I say then look up at the two. "Except for you two. And my parents. And Jacque, Steph, Ronnie and Ricky. Now Bobby."

"So it sounds like the odds of Algee being like other guys is slim-to-none," JJ says. "Why do you really think that everyone— and I mean all of us— want you with Algee?"

I shrug. "It doesn't matter. It won't happen again," My cousin and sister share looks. "What?"

"Algee hit that shit too good and you know it. All he had to do was look at me and I was pregnant," Lucy continues this stupid joke. "I know he had to give it to you good or you wouldn't have cried."

Like most of our family, we try to joke about some problems as a way of coping with them. Crying after sex isn't normal and stems from a situation from my youth; making a joke out of it shouldn't be allowed or funny but it is to us.

"Let's finish this damn song so I can go lay down." I say.

"Walking funny, huh?" JJ teases but I ignore her and Lucy's continuous jabs.

"Shut up." I roll my eyes.

We finish up the song we were working on before going our separate ways. I call up Yazz and Tre to go shopping with me. Only Yazz comes.

"You fucked him, didn't you?" My best friend asks once I pick him up.

"Hey to you too, motherfucker. And who the hell are you talking about?" I greet the bastard.

"Girl, there's more important things than greetings," Yazz waves his hand. "You fucked Algee, didn't you? You had to. He said he was going to comfort you about Jacob's young ass and we didn't hear from him until an hour after he said he landed in Detroit a while back."