Chapter 1- My Kind of Beautiful

Chapter 1
My Kind of Beautiful

Kimberly

2016

As I sit waiting for my older sister and her fiancé in the recording studio we frequent, I smile at my rose gold iPhone 7 Plus like a little idiot.

My mother, Cassandra Tresvant (one third of the world famous girl group SJC), would say that I'm making a mistake— that the guy I should choose isn't the one that I'm currently texting. She would want me to go to the guy that I've had to spend three months playing a role with. But I don't want that. I spent months with Algee Smith portraying my father (Ralph Tresvant of New Edition) and me portraying my mother.

I have no ill will against him; Algee is a great guy. He's an amazing actor and singer. And he isn't too bad on the eyes. But his resemblance to my father is uncanny. The way he was able to portray my father almost exactly as if Algee was Ralph T. It's disturbing to say the least.

I don't want to be my mother and father. I want to be Kim Tresvant. So if that means rejecting Algee, I'll do it.

I can't to see you beautiful😘. Jacob's text makes me smile like an idiot. Ah. New and budding relationships always leave me with a stupid grin.

I can't wait to see you either😍. I send the text before locking my phone.

"Finally. If you had smiled at your phone any longer I would have thought you were planning Batman's demise, Joker." JJ teases me. I just roll my eyes while laughing with her.

"What nigga are you texting anyway?" Chance the Rapper, JJ's long-time boyfriend turned husband and future-baby father, asks me.

"Why I gotta be texting a dude?" I answer him with a question.

"Cuz that smile is too stupid to not be talking to a nigga," Chance says with a chuckle. "So who is it?"

"Someone I'm going on a date with later." I smile as my older sister, Lucy Tresvant, enters the studio with her fiancé, Luke James. When I say a match made in heaven, I mean that. Lucy is normally a hard, tough, stubborn, mean-mugging person. Ohhh but Luke.

He's made her a better, sweeter person and she has done the same to him. And it isn't too bad that his dark skin compliments her light skin either.

"Ayo, Chance. I ain't know you was still in town, man. Wassup?" Luke daps Chance when he walks in.

"I'm out tomorrow after Jackie's doctor appointment. Plus Luce said that she had a song she wanted me to be on." Chance shrugs with his carefree smile as he gives Lucy a quick hug.

"So let's get to it," Lucy sits down behind the soundboard. "Auntie Steph will be here soon with Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. Until then I'm in control."

"What's the song you were thinking of?" I ask. Of course my sister, cousin, and I took after our parents and formed our own, Grammy-award-winning group called JKL when we were still very young. At eight and seven, we had a debut performance in 1999. Then won a Grammy (the youngest to ever do so) in 2000.

Lucy plays a beat and everyone's head starts bobbing. It's a funky beat with a nice sound that makes you want to wind and grind.