Falling In Love With My Enemy's Brother (Chapter Twenty-Two)

Start from the beginning

"Gah," because of my family I wasn't exactly fond of surprises. "What if I trip?" I asked.

"I didn't know you're clumsy." He told he his voice so close to my ear I nearly jumped. When had he moved this close to me?

"I'm not clumsy, just worried. I don't want to fall on my face." I told him sternly, and he chuckled.

"Give me more credit, you know I'd never let that happen."

"...fine." I grumbled, and even though I couldn't see it I knew Matt was grinning. I just knew.

"Now no peeking." He whispered in my ear, and I squeezed my eyes shut as I heard him open his car door, get out, and then shut it.

O.K. Maybe just one quick peek... I began to open one eye but I heard my door get pulled open and then Matt's hand was quickly covering my eyes.

"Cheater." He said, in a playfully scolding tone as he adjusted his cover on my eyes and took my other hand in his, then began to lead me wherever we were going.

As we walked I realized something. If Matt was covering my eyes with one hand and holding my hand with the other then what hand was he holding the picnic basket with?

"Matt?" I asked.

"Yeah."

"Where's the picnic basket?"

Matt laughed, "I knew you were going to notice that little tid-bit."

I frowned, "You didn't forget it did you?"

"Don't worry about it."

"I'm hungry. Of course I'm going to worry about it."

Matt chuckled, "Trust me please Sam, you'll get some food."

I sighed, "Fine."

We kept walking and I could feel as the ground changed from dirt to smooth, glassy pebbles. The lap of water sounded near, a soft quiet sound. Where were we?

"OK," Matt said, "Open your eyes in 3... 2... 1..." Matt lifted his hands from my eyes and I gasped.

We were at a lake as big as the football field Matt had played on earlier in the middle of a lush green forest. The surface of the lake was smooth and still, and reflected a full ashen moon on its waters. Thousands of multicolored pebbles made up the rocky beach.

And right in front of me, on this very rocky beach laid a red-and-white-checkered blanket layered in rose petals with a spread of food, a wicker picnic basket and silverware on top. Tiny, white, round candles surrounded the area offering just enough light to see.

I covered my gaping mouth with my hands, "Oh Matt, this is... amazing."

"Glad you like it." Matt said with a grin, wrapping his arms around my waist, and resting his chin on my shoulder.

"Like it?" I asked, "Are you kidding me, I LOVE it."

"What can I say?" Matt shrugged, "Nothing is too good for my girl." He kissed me lightly on the check then stepped back, and held out his hand, "Shall we eat my princess?"

I gave a faint smile, as blush spread across my cheeks. Gently I took his hand, "Of course my prince."

I could wait to tell him about Parker couldn't I? No sense in ruining a perfect evening like this.

I joined Matt on the cloth and we began eating and talking, somehow we got onto the topics about our futures.

"So my parents are warming up to the idea of me being a vet." Matt told me with a grin.