Telepathic Twins -- Chapter 10

Start from the beginning

Landon was kinda freaking me out. He was still staring at me with that lusty look in his eye. Aleks noticed and smacked him upside the head. "No checking out my sister."

"What if she likes it?" Landon retorted.

"She doesn't," I interjected, and took a bite. He shrugged, unaffected.

"He checks out anything with tits," Owen explained to me in a low voice.

Apparently, not low enough because Landon said, "I heard that."

"Aaand?" Julie asked, dragging the word out.

"At least I don't check out everything with a dick."

"Was that directed at Julie or Owen?" Aaron asked.

"Both," Landon answered.

I just leaned back on the counter, enjoying the show while eating the burger.

"I do not check out everything with a dick!" Julie said indignantly.

Owen snorted, "You only wish I was gay. Sorry honey, I'm taken."

"You just accused me of checking out everything with tits and now you're calling me gay? That doesn't make sense."

"Stop arguing!" Aaron said. "Nobody in here is gay."

I thought the arguing was finished until Aleks said, "Except Leksi."

My jaw dropped. "I'm not a lesbian, you ass!"

He put a patronizing hand on my shoulder. "When you're ready to come out of the closet, just know that I'll be here for you."

I narrowed my eyes at him, and then his hand. "You're lucky eating a Big Mac requires both hands," I said. Then I kicked him in the shin.

Everyone laughed and he said loudly, "Ow!" while standing on one foot and grabbing the counter for support. "I'm gonna get you back for that."

"Probably. So where's the nearest mall or shopping center?" Everyone groaned theatrically. "What?"

"You're one of those preppy girly girls?" Aleks asked incredulously.

I blinked. "Nooo, I just didn't bring many clothes with me and am in desperate need of some. Don't even think about it," I told Landon when he opened his mouth, probably to say something about not needing any clothes.

He laughed. "Too late," he said with that look in his eye. Aleks smacked him again. "Ouch."

"So we're going to the mall today?" Aaron asked. I got the feeling that he was the peacekeeper of the group.

Julie and Owen shrugged and Aleks said, "I guess so. I'll take my skateboard, Leksi can take my bike, and you guys can use whatever you rode here with."

Everyone agreed and we all went outside after I went upstairs to get a jacket. It was a silvery gray with a really warm, white, furry lining and hood.

"How far is the mall?" I asked.

"About two or three miles," Owen said.

"Come with me to get the bike," Aleks said, and half dragged me to the right side of the house where there was a sidewalk and a door at the end.

"You know, it is really weird talking to you in person," I told him.

He laughed, "Seriously. Speaking of that, I think we should keep the mental barrier intact when people are around. It would probably look funny to everyone."

"Yeah, probably." It was like we'd known each other for years, and it wasn't the least bit awkward between us.

Aleks opened the door and I followed him down the stairs to the basement. "I think you should keep your distance from Landon."

"Dude, as much shit as I've dealt with for the past few years, I think I can handle him." If I could handle Damien, I could definitely handle some hormonal teenage boy.

"It's not that I think he's capable of physically hurting you. It's just..." he hesitated as we walked to one corner of the basement.

"Ohhh, this is about your overprotective brotherly instincts. I see. Well, lemme explain something. When someone tells me to do something I don't want to, I tend to rebel."

"How so?"

I said nothing, just showed him my forearms that still had barely visible white lines on them. You couldn't really see them unless you were looking for them, but Aleks knew what I was talking about.

"I get your point. So you're saying that you'll try to kill yourself if I don't let you date Landon?"

"Of course not." Looking back, I could see the irony; taking my life so I wouldn't have to create one. "I'd just do it anyway. And this isn't about Landon. I mean in the future, if I do choose to have a boyfriend, you'd better ease up."

"Fine," he grumbled. "Just not Landon, please? He's had a reputation as a heartbreaker since middle school."

We were by the bike now, and it was a good one from what I could tell. It was dark blue and black and in very good condition.

"You're worried about me getting my heart broken?" I asked incredulously. Pretty much everything else in my body had been broken already at least once. "I'm sure I've been hurt worse than that."

"I can't speak from experience, so I wouldn't know."

I shrugged, "Doesn't matter." He took one handlebar and I took the other and we walked back to the stairs. "I won't be getting my heart broken any time soon."

He dropped the subject. "We also need to figure out how we're gonna enroll you in my school."

"I'm two years behind; that'll be difficult."

"Two?"

"Yeah, I was a freshman when I got locked up."

He paused, confused. "Huh? How can that be? You were twelve."

"I skipped two grades in elementary school. Mother was eager to get rid of me as soon as possible," I said bitterly.

"You don't have a lot to catch up on, then."

When we were at the foot of the stairs, I went in back of the bike to pick up the wheel while Aleks grabbed the front and walked backward up the stairs. The door we hadn't closed, so nothing was in our way.

"Do you prefer bike riding or skateboarding?" I asked out of the blue.

"Skateboarding. It's more of a challenge, you know?"

We got back to the sidewalk and I closed the door behind me. Aleks turned to go back to the front of the house and I said, "Hey, Aleks?"

He turned around and asked, "What?"

"I really suck with the whole mushy, getting your feelings out shit, but I want you to know how grateful I am that you got me out of there." His eyes widened and I let that sink in for a few seconds. "Now let's go before a really awkward silence follows that."

--------------------------

A/N I'm curious; how old do you guys think I am?