28: dodgy tan lines

when a week had passed, Grayson had a bright idea for lots of us to go to the beach for a day before I had to fly back to the United Kingdom for a month and a half. My exam was on the 20th April and I flew to New Jersey on the 24th which was two days before my birthday. It was going to be a busy week.

During the time I was in England, Grayson decided that he was going to visit me mid-way through the trip which I wasn't looking forward to a great deal because I was going to be really busy all of the time.

For the day, I had dressed myself in my new pastel pink bikini which had high leg bottoms. Over the top of that I was wearing a denim skirt and a yellow slogan top which had 'UK all the way' written in italic over it.

It was my go-to beach top recently because I didn't mind it getting washed out by the salt water.

I packed my beach bag as we all piled into two cars. Grayson's one and Ethan's one.

We arrived at the beach and I was getting first kiss vibes all over again. Except the fact that my best friend and her boyfriend were no-where to be found this time.

Grayson and I, as well as James, Valentino and Grace all hopped out of the car and waited for slow coach Ethan to arrive with the others. When they finally turned up, Ethan, Aaron, Nate and Alex hopped out of the car and off we all went to go and find the perfect spot to perch.

The minute I put my bag down on the blanket that James brought with him and when I had stripped down to my bikini, I was pulled away by Grayson and his crutches to go into the water. As it was still pretty early, the cold water made my gasp as Grayson pulled me further away and deeper into the water. But, only deep enough that the plastic covering his cast wasn't drowned.

"Grayson, stop!" I squealed as he splashed me with water.

He completely ignored me so I splashed him back. The two of us were having a splash fight when Jack and Aaron began to make fun of us on land as they play fought each other. I laughed at their representation which resulted in Jack giving Aaron a piggy back into the water.

"you two make a cute couple!" Grayson shouted over to them as he laughed and shielded his mouth to maximise the sound.

"I guess we're the only ones!" Aaron shouted back to us as the two of them edged closer and closer into the water.

"hey!" James shouted over as he pretended to be offended,

I laughed at them all until nearly everyone was in the water apart from James and Valentino. Instead, they were chilling out on some beach towels which had 'beach please' and 'bae watch' written on them. Ethan ran into the water like a dog as he bright red shorts made him look like a lifeguard, (would have been funny if they were a pair of baby blue speedos.)

I helped Grayson hobble over to his crutches as his plastic covered cast was then smothered with sand. He made his wat through the sinking sand, which was not easy to walk through with crutches.

"you're going to get a killer tan line," I laughed to him

"well, when you fall asleep I'm going to make sure that you get some dodgy tan lines," he said as he competed against me,

"who said I was going to fall asleep?" I asked as I raised my eyebrow at him,

then he came closer to my ear and whispered, "you always fall asleep in the sand, remember the night?"

I laughed away my blushing and then laid down on the beach towel.

"I was thinking..." I mentioned,

"what?"

"you know when you plan to visit me?" was I going to tell Grayson to not come?

"what about it?"

"uh... will your cast be off?"

"um," he laughed, "probably... I don't really know." He shrugged.

Soon enough, Grayson had fallen asleep so I asked Ethan to help me move the beach umbrella over to Grayson. Just in case he ended up sunburnt. It happened once before when he slept in the sun. it was really funny but not a pretty sight.

Me and James went into the water and enjoyed the Californian sunshine and beaches.

"you know what Ava..." he started, "we're living on top of the world."

"hell, yeah we are," I laughed.

"I mean it... we came here and found the most amazing friends and we also found each other,"

"stop it James, you'll make me cry," I said feeling a bit emotional,

"well, you found Grayson and I've found Valentino..." he shrugged and played with the sand beneath his feet,

"is something up?" I asked,
"I want a puppy..." he mumbled to me,

"a puppy?" I said confused,

"and a baby..."

"you're only eighteen!" I exclaimed even though I knew that Harper has had a baby and I was being pretty hypocritical right now,

"why not?"

"no reason, I just didn't think that babies were your thing." I said to him,

"neither did I..." he shrugged again, "maybe I'm way in over my head."

"if you want a baby... you go and get yourself a baby." I said to him smiling,

"will you and Grayson ever have kids?" he asked me,

"if we hurry up and get married then we might. I just want to wait a few years, you know?"

"I understand. Babies aren't for everyone."

"it's not that, it's just that I don't know if I see myself properly with a child or not... I've been rethinking lots of stuff recently and kids were one of them." I admitted,

"seriously? Does Grayson have his heart set on a family?" James asked me surprised,

"I think so..." I said as I bit my lip in worry,

"you two need to have a chat..."

"I know." I sighed.