23: second house

my first day back in London and I was already getting into the long-awaited habits. Just like last time I found myself here.

I was drinking full English tea, eating scones and doing every other stereotypical British thing which was out there.

My mum had taken me for afternoon tea so I filled my face on tiny triangle sandwiches and cakes. Not a bad day. That event was then followed by a bit of dress shopping. Not too much... just enough for me to keep my options open.

I wasn't planning on settling on anything until I came across what I believed to be my perfect dress. It was a Caroline Castigliano dress and was potentially out of my price range. Until I looked at the price and saw that it was half off.

Bargain hunting... another one for my list of British things I forgot I loved.

The minute my eyes met the dress, I felt as though I was being called and begged to feel the soft fabrics of silk and embroidery. Each thread was sewn perfectly and the bust of the dress featured a gorgeous lace embroidered sweetheart neckline with straps. The dress was light weight and screamed Ava. I imagined myself walking down the aisle the minute I saw it and I imagined myself taking Grayson's hand and promising that forever meant forever and that what we had, was never going to fade.

But I did also imagine myself walking along a beach alone in the perfect dress.

I love Grayson and there is no denying that fact but something still didn't feel one hundred percent right with the whole situation we had come across.

Our trip to Paris was planned over my birthday, which was in a month. During that trip, he told me that he had also planned something spectacular for me and every time he mentioned it I felt like I itched all over with anticipation, just waiting and lusting the surprise.

The minute I put the dress on, it fit like a second skin. It was hugging me and freeing me all at the same time.

I felt immense.

My mum watched me as I stepped down from the small platform as she burst into tears.

"that dress... that dress is the one you need." She blubbered into a tissue,

"you really think so?" I asked her as I flattened down the skirt,

"it's perfect..." she said smiling to me.

And that, is the story of how I purchased my wedding dress without even knowing when the wedding date was.

That night, my mum and I head back home for dinner. I was raiding through the drawers for a spatula because it was not in the drawer that I assumed it would be. I sorted through the miscellaneous drawer to find a zip lock bag filled with cut out houses.

Very random.

"mum?" I called out to her,

"yeah!" she shouted back to me from the living room,

"why do you have a zip lock bag filled with houses?" I asked her,

"oh..." and then I heard footsteps, "I was meaning to talk to you about that actually," she smiled as she came face to face with me,

"and?" I asked her,

"which one do you prefer?" she then asked me as she held out three houses with a blue highlighted mark on the back,

"what's this for?" I said confused,

"your dad and I are buying you a house..." she smiled,

"what!?" I said shocked and then she burst out laughing,

"do you really think we'd buy you and your boyfriend a house?" she said on the verge of crying of laughter,

"that's not funny," I said feeling annoyed but smiling through it,

"if only your dad was here to witness that..." she said calming herself down,

"yeah... so what's this all about then?" I asked her,

"your dad and I are moving to a new house..." she said casually, "now... which one? I prefer the second one because I really like the annex but I want you to be included in the choice-"

"mum! Stop!" I said and she snapped to look at me, "you and dad are buying a new house?" I asked for clarification, "but this is my childhood," I pouted to her,

"the ceiling has damp..." she pointed upwards, "the downstairs toilet doesn't work and quite frankly, it's a gross house," she said looking around the kitchen we were standing in.

I got the spatula and flipped the omelette which was most definitely burnt by now.

"doesn't mean you have to move..." I said counteracting her choices,

"but look at these houses!" she exclaimed and put them closer to my face,

"I know mum... I can see them..." I said nodding at her.

"so, which one do you prefer then?" she asked me as if I had any idea what these houses were like, "I've got pictures!" she exclaimed as she slid the IPad off of the counter and flicked through the pictures on the website,

"based off of the pictures and the look of the house... I'd say the third one," I said slowly nodding my head.

"eww, that's the worst one," she said in disgust,

"but it's the nicest one... did you see the modern side of it?" I asked her as if she never even looked at the house,

"I did... but it's not as nice as the second one," she said surveying the houses,

"fine... get the second one then." I shrugged and dished up my omelette.

The second house was pretty nice I guess...