Arrivals and Departures

It was the day Amir was to leave for college and he left his bedroom door open on his way to the bathroom to take a shower.

Amir stood in the shower and let the hot water hit his back. Amir thought about Robin yelling, smiling and laughing. Amir felt discomfort in his chest and sighed.

Amir wrapped a towel around his waist, his chocolate skin glistened in the light reflecting off the drops of water left on his defined chest. Amir noticed his bedroom door open remembering he closed it and said "Why won't Kenny stay the fuck out my room!?"

Amir sat down on his bed looked at the ceiling for a moment and said "Ok." Amir got up and went to his mother's room and said "Ma?"

"Yes?" Kenya said.

"I wanted to tell you myself I'm not going to Howard." Amir said.

Kenya's face dropped as did her hair dryer and she said "What?" The hair dryer hit the floor with a thud!

"I said I'm not going to Howard Ma I gotta be here when Robin gets back." Amir said.

"No. No." Kenya said shaking her head.

"Ma I'm a gro-"

"No! You are not ruining your future over a break-up! Robin is gone! It's been over two weeks! He's not coming back!" Kenya said.

"You don't understand Ma even if he don't come back to me he has to get his stuff back-"

"I don't wanna hear no more! I'll be damned if my son is flipping patties at Burger King for eternity! You are going on that muthafucking plane! I paid for the fucking ticket! If I have to drag you to the flight I'll do it, done it before I'll do it again!" Kenya said.

"Mom I got money in the bank if that's the problem, I'll pay you back now." Amir said, keeping his straight face.

"I don't believe your jeopardizing your future over puppy love!" Kenya said.

"Ma I'll go when Robin and my kids come back. I already told Jermaine the same thing. I'll go next year."

"Will you have the chance!? This college has been your dream forever and you're throwing it away!" Kenya said, her voice strained while she hit the table with her fists.

"Then I'll go to a community college." Amir said leaving Kenya's room.

Kenya followed Amir and said "Amir if you don't get on that plane tonight I'll throw you out of my house!"

"Me and Robin have our own apartment Ma. I can't live with you forever." Amir said.

Kenya's mouth was slightly ajar and she shook her head and said "Then get the fuck out since you got all the answers!"

"Ok Ma." Amir said putting slides on and getting keys. "I'll come back to get my things later. I love you."

"Come back after you complete your first semester!" Kenya said following Amir out the door.

Amir walked away from Kenya's house and Kenya said "Amir! Please come back! Please go to college! Oh god." Kenya braced herself on the doorjamb, dizzy.