A Favor

Harris drank from a flask hiding from sight behind the refrigerator door as his sons ate breakfast prepared by their maid whom looked at Harris drinking shaking her head.

A young Latina girl of 13 years dressed in an school uniform blazer and plaid skirt walked in the kitchen. She had long wavy hair, a tan complexion, brown eyes, a heart shaped face and her face twisted to an scowl of disgust walked in the kitchen and rudely pushed Harris away from the refrigerator and dug out a frozen breakfast sandwich.

"Laira don't push daddy like that!" One of her younger brothers said.

"Not my father." Laira coldly said.

Harris sighed and took another drink from his flask.

"As usual." Laira said slamming the microwave door shut making only Harris jump in fear.

"Laira." Harris said.

"What!?" Laira boomed.

"Th-this is my house Laira you can't disrespect me here the place where I pay the bills." Harris said.

"I tolerated you on the strength of my mother." Laira said.
"How about instead of drinking and getting in random fights support you sons? Our mother was buried 4 months ago."

"I'm-"

"Laira!" The maid said.

The maid and Laira spoke to one another in Spanish "Laira your mother was his wife he lost her too you deserve every right to be mad about it but fighting in front of your brothers isn't going to fix a thing!"

"I know he killed her Carla! I know he did! Who else would want to shoot my mother in the head you seen them fighting too!" Laira said.

"Laira!" Carla shouted.

Laira's head went down. The Sandwich was ready and Laira took it out of the kitchen.

Harris sighed "Thank you Carla."

"Yes Mr.Redfield." Carla said.

The doorbell rang and Carla said "Ill get that." And she left the kitchen.

"Daddy?"

"Yes Kyle?" Harris said.

"Why is Laira mad about mom? I'm sad about her. Is she mad at mom?" Kyle said.

"No Laira is just mad at me Kyle." Harris said.

"Why Dad?" Issac said.

Before Harris could say anything, Carla returned and said "Mr.Redfield. Mr.Monroe is here to see you."

Harris took a sigh of relief and said "Carla take the kids to school so Garrison and I can talk."

Carla nodded and ushered the children outside but Laira said "Ms.Carla I have to get my folders wait for me ok?"

"Hurry up mamacita!" Carla said.

Laira waited till Carla wasn't looking and ran to the back of the house and hid just beneath the open kitchen window.

Garrison sat down and said "Harris, sit."