A Growing Concern

In a courtroom a female judge said "Bring out the accused."

The side door next to the bench opened and two officers lead a cuffed and shackled Garrison in the courtroom and placed him before the judge.

The Judge spoke "Garrison Monroe you are accused of Bribery, Insider Trading, Arson, Kidnapping, Assault with a deadly Weapon, Attempted Murder and Murder how do you plea?"

Garrison audibly and calmly said "Not Guilty your honor."

"Now for the bond, counselor?" She said.

"Your honor might I ask that the bond be set to two million dollars." Garrison's attorney said.

"Your honor Garrison Monroe must be detained." The Prosecutor said.

"Why? Your honor my client's no flight risk and he is neither a threat to himself or others." Garrison's attorney said.

"Your honor this mad man kidnapped an 18 year old, took him to an abandoned building, savagely beat him and ripped out three of his teeth." The prosecutor said animatedly waving his hands at Garrison.

The Judge mulled over the argument and said "This is true however, I do not believe Garrison Monroe is a flight risk. Garrison Monroe is to not come within 200 yards of Amir Davis or contact him in any way bail is set at 2 Million dollars." The Judge banged the gavel.

Garrison turned his head to Amir sitting beside his mother he looked Amir in his eyes and smiled as the officers lead him to the door he came in.

"What the hell was that?" Kenya said.

"He isn't a flight risk but he won't be out long this is-"

"A process I know, I'm a paralegal and I know that his assets being frozen is irrelevant because his friend is giving him money and that man isn't a public defender that just passed the bar yesterday he's one of the top attorneys in Chicago!" Kenya said.

"Ma'am the evidence we have against him damning. He's not going to harm your son." The prosecutor said putting his hand Amir's shoulder and walking away.

Amir eyes were trained on the door Garrison was lead out of.

Garrison sat in a jail cell and a younger black man was just pushed inside by an officer.

"Damn nigga!" He said.

The young man walked up to Garrison and said "That's my seat."

"Actually it's not." Garrison said.

"Why you talking white, nigga?" He said.

"Young man, I would appreciate if you left me alone and leave me to my own thoughts." Garrison said.

"Nah nigga that's my seat." He smirked.

Summer, 1991
A bruised and beaten Garrison was dragged to a jail cell and pushed inside, the metal gate slammed shut behind him. Garrison looked at the men inside and purposely looked at the bars of the cell so as to not attract attention, most of the men looked Garrison up and down regardless.

A black man said "Kid. What are you in here for?"

"They threw me in here." Garrison said.

The older black man groaned and said "You're supposed to be in an juvenile hall facility but the cops throw black kids in here anyway." He said.

Garrison didn't say anything back to the dark-skinned man with a full beard, Afro and nose with a sat going down the long bridge of it. Garrison broke in a cold sweat being faced with countless other eyes staring back at him in the cell that reeked of urine and the squeaking of a rat in the distance.