Alfie

After Zoe and finished talking we relocated over at the bed. We just slept though and it was so nice. My arm was snuggled nicely under her back and her head rested on my chest. Her body perfectly entertwined within mine. 

At first neither of us fell asleep. We kind of both just lay there in silence listening to each other's breathing. It was nice and soothing. I just tried not to think about Zoe leaving later. That was something I would wait for and not live it too early. 

It only took me about ten minutes before I actually did fall asleep. I hadn't gotten much sleep that night because I had woken up early to see Zoe. The sleep was nice and soothing because I felt a warmth where Zoe was lying and I didn't feel alone. It was so great. 

I woke up what felt to be only a few minutes later, but apparently it was much later because the sun had started to move down and the room wasn't as bright when I had fallen asleep, and Zoe was gone. At first I thought she had just gone to the bathroom or something, but then I saw that all her stuff was gone from the room. 

That was when I found the note. 

It was scrawled in her neat handwriting with her mint pen on a sheet of her notebook paper that had cursive Z's in the bottom corner. I read through the note and felt a shiver go through my body. A shiver of sadness, if that makes any sense. I was angry too. Angry that Zoe could leave me like that. 

I took the note and folded it up into pieces and shoved it into my pocket before calling a cab. I was going to the airport to see Zoe. I had to see her before she left. I had to hug her one last time, hold her for the last time in a long while. 

The cab took forever to come and I wasn't on my way to the aiport until about thirty minutes later. I was so worried that her flight had already left, but a part of me felt like she was still there. 

When I got to the airport I looked through all the shops to no avail. I knew I wouldn't be able to get past security which meant I probably wouldn't get to see Zoe. My only hope would be if she hadn't gone through security yet. 

Then I realised there was one shop I hadn't looked in yet. There was a small little notebook store at the end of the hall of shops and I hoped and hoped that Zoe was going to be in there. I walked down holding my breath waiting for what I was going to see when I walking inside. 

My heart dropped when I realised that she wasn't in there. 

xxx