Chapter Fourteen

• Dedicated to Tammy Fica

Chapter Fourteen

The snowflakes kissed my skin as Ismael was asking me about what had just happened. I honestly didn't want to talk about it, but I told him anyway. Pity swept over him as I told him how I crashed the car, and all that jazz

"Oh, well, do you know when you're getting out of here?" He asked, looking down at me as we turned around an igloo.

"It's not like you get a day, right?" I mumbled glumly, watching my feet sink into the powdery snow.

".... You can, you know."

My head whipped towards him, feeling my eyes widen. I could get a specific date? How? Where? I asked him my questions, but his eyes became sad.

"You'd have to leave. Get far away from here. There's a building in the center of your mind called the Venisis Building. It controls every action that's being taken to keep you here, or get you out."

"How do I get there?" We were now approaching the igloo again, seeing smoke coming from the chimney. Someone was awake, and we were going to be in trouble depending on who it was.

Ishmael slowed his pace, becoming quiet. Bright blue eyes narrowed as he looked between a small crack in the snow/ice palace. His shoulders relaxed, and I heard him exhale slowly. "It's only Mhana."

"Oh.. Okay, then." I followed him inside, and sat down by the fire next to her. I felt her tense, since our shoulders were brushing slightly. Glancing over at her, her eyes caught mine. We held the gaze for a few moments, but then broke away.

"About your question on the Venisis Building... You need to head out of here east. There's a forest out there, and you just need to follow the trail. This tundra doesn't last forever, but it's going to take a whole day of walking to get out to the woods." The boy stripped himself of his wet clothing, as well as I. We weren't naked, but no shirts were on our bodies.

Mhana looked over at us, taking a bite of salmon. Questioning was in her eyes as she looked at her older brother. He simply shook his head, and reached over grabbing a piece of fish, disobeying the family rules. Mhana didn't seem to notice. 

"When are you leaving?" She finally spoke, tossing the bones in a squirrel-hide pouch.

"Soon. Maybe tomorrow, I don't want to be any trouble to you people anymore."

Ishmael looked appalled. "Trouble? Are you mad?"

Maybe I was mad. My shoulders moved upward in a shrug as I watched the flames dance over the coals and logs. Silence fell over the three of us, not like we cared. I listened to Mhana's breathing, and how jagged it was. Pondering what was wrong with her, my eyes combed over her. She had a hand over her stomach, breathing heavily. Apparently, I wasn't the only one watching her. Ishmael stood, and walked over to her.

"What's wrong, Mhana?"

"It's nothing, brother. Just a bit ill." Her voice was hoarse, and it was painful for me to listen too.