Chapter Thirteen

• Dedicated to Tammy Fica

This family was actually nicer then my own, seeing as they gave me new boots, warm fur clothing, and a hat to wear, just for fishing. We didn't tell them that we were going to cook the fish up, or anything... since we would get in deep trouble. As I sat on the docks, I saw the beautiful fading purple, green, and blue lights swirl across the sky. Ishmael did the same, telling me a legend about how they came to be. Nearing the end of the story, I felt my pole tug ever so slightly. Not really knowing how to use it, I yanked back hoping the hook would lodge in its lip. Ishmael's head whipped towards me, and he asked what the heck I was doing. I glanced at him, told him what I was doing, and then he suddenly ripped the pole from my warm hands, and pressed a few buttons, the string reeling back so fast I could barely see what was happening.

"Ha ha! We got one!" He exclaimed, holding the bass up for me to see.

"Nice. You want to catch more?" I asked.

"We need more anyway, if we want a buffet." A subtle smirk played across his lips as he casted both of our lines out, propping them against his bag.

Unspoken words went between us as we sat, Ishmael was like the brother I never had. Don't get me wrong, I love my sister, but sometimes I just wished that I had somebody to talk to about guy  things.. you know? My parents never really understood me, which is stereo-typical for a guy my age. But my dad left us when I was just starting to like him, and my mom was always to strict, being a super-catholic parent. Around Ishmael, I felt normal, like I did around my other friends. We understood each other. Maybe after fifteen minutes or so, he spoke.

"The reason why my mother likes you so much is because she thinks that you're destined to be with my sister." His voice was sore, looking deeply into the still water. 

"Really..?" I tried to sound surprised. 

"It's ridiculous. She's simply to young to be wanting to be married. I mean.. gods.. she's only fourteen."

"Oh... Well, I already have feeling for-" I began, but the poles were ripped off of the dock, and terrifying roar rang out from beneath the waters. 

Ishmael scrambled back, the wisps of warm breath going around his face. I stood up, but the dock began to shake and creak beneath my feet. My head whipped back at Ishmael, who was screaming at me, but now that I think about it, I couldn't really hear him over my own screaming.  Another roar erupted from the water, and something arose, and it clamped its jaws over my femur. Being yanked back by my new friend on my hood, the beast pulled right back, threatening to take my whole leg off. The monster seriously looked like a giant coi fish with really sharp teeth that want to eat your soul. Suddenly I was underwater, Ishmael with me.  The coi fish started to sink, become limp, dragging us to our deaths. The familiar hand on my hood let go, but it was quickly replaced by a larger one, who's claws scraped the back of my neck. Soon after I was pulled to the surface, I turned to look who it was that was pulling me... and it was the last person-thingy I thought I'd see.

Foo Foo. 

Hearing Ishmael cough up water, I stared at him for a few more seconds, then I sprinted to my friend who was laying face down on the sand, hands clenching and unclenching from fists. I began to pat his back like a mother would do for their sick child. Thomas watched us, as well as Foo Foo. I asked where they came from, and how they got there, but I should've known better because neither of them talk. Slowly Ishmael sat up, and his puppy eyes grew wide at the sight of my friends. 

"What.. what are those?"  He asked, voice shaky from coughing and probably being scared. 

"Oh- don't be scared. I honestly don't know what they are, but they're nice."

"N-nice?" He squeaked, shivering like me. 

"Well, yes. They saved our lives, Thank you, by the way.." I nodded politely to them, and Thomas gave a thumbs-up, and Foo Foo chirped happily. 

"W-who's that?" He was now looking behind them, eyes becoming narrow.

I looked where he was, and my heart leaped into my throat. Stepping out behind them with her golden hair and chocolate eyes was Indigo. A small smirk played across her lips as she looked at us. Oh, she knew how to walk, talk, and act around other boys. Her blond hair bobbed around her face, walking like a model, and she stopped in front of us. Bending over slightly, she laughed,

"I heard you two were in trouble." 

"How did you find us?" I asked, my mouth dropping open slightly. 

She did her signature eye-roll, and snarled, "It's all in your head, remember? I go where you want me to go."

"Uh... Hi, I'm Ishmael.." His voice cracked, gazing at her.

"Pleasure." Sarcasm dripped like acid in her voice, not breaking her eyes from mine. 

"We should probably head back, i don't want to freeze to death.." Ishmael inquired. 

"We?" She tensed, shoulders stiffening, and eyes flaring. " What to you mean 'we'?"

"Well, you see Indigo, I've been staying with their family for a little while.." I didn't want to make her any angrier then she already was, but of course, that didn't work. 

"Why?"  

"My brother and I found him out in the tundra.. he was going to freeze to death." Ishmael tried to intervene, standing up, sneezing. 

"Hey, Ish-whatever, he's my problem, not yours."

"Indigo, don't talk to my friends like that."  I snapped, feeling like her father.

She cracked her strong hand across my face, and stepped back, furious. This time, I had every right to be angrier with her too. 

"Fine, you know what? Go ahead and act like you own everything, but the world doesn't revolve around you, Indigo."

Her voice raised as her cheeks became a deeper shade a pink that wasn't from the cold. "No, Ryk! The world revolves around you! It's always been that way! And guess what? I deserve better then you."

I didn't say anything more since she was the one who was treating me badly, and I didn't want to continue digging my grave. I turned around, and told Ishmael we had to go. At first he didn't move, but he started to realize that this wasn't his fight, so he nodded, and we both started to walk back to the igloo together, freezing our butts off, the snowflakes making everything colder. I didn't hear anything else from Indigo, nor did I want too. 

Could anything else possibly go wrong?