"Lauren, what are you doing? It's seven-" he started.

"In the morning, I know. It's early," I interrupted. "But today's a big day for me and everyone seems to be pissed off at the universe for no apparent reason, so I thought I'd make you all a nice breakfast to get your day off to the right start."

My dad lifted up the corner of his mouth in a small smile that probably would have gone unnoticed had it not been what I was hoping for all along. He shuffled over to me and wrapped his arm around my shoulders, pulling me into his side and rubbing my upper arm supportively, a smile on his face through it all.

"I happen to be in a great mood, and I'm sure Taylor and Chris are too, but they're preteens and they need their sleep. You were exactly the same way," he said.

"Yeah well, I didn't have an older sister on the rise to stardom," I chuckled.

"No, I guess you didn't," he said to himself more than anyone, a small laugh escaping his lips. He became quiet, a thoughtful look appearing on his face.

"What is it Dad?" I pressed.

"Oh, nothing. I was just thinking."

I turned towards my pancake mix and began to stir, leaving my dad to his thoughts.

"Wow, The X Factor," he nearly whispered after a while. "My daughter is about to audition for The X Factor."

I felt a sudden rush of butterflies in my stomach at my Dad's words, like I was suddenly realizing for the first time what they meant. "Don't act so surprised," I laughed, never taking my eyes off of the mixing bowl in front of me. "It was bound to happen one day. Better now than later."

"Do you realize how much your life is going to change? Our lives?" he asked, a soft but serious tone to his voice. "I'm not one of those parents that tells their children they can sing, persuades them to audition for a hit TV show, and then tries to act surprised when they get voted off a week later."

I stopped mixing, now interested in hearing what he had to say.

"I can see big things ahead for you. You're going to make it, Lauren. You're going to make it far, and I'm not just saying that because I'm your father. I can see it in you. You're meant to do great things," he finished.

I wrapped my arms around his neck, standing up on my tip-toes to pull him in for a hug. "Thanks Dad," I whispered into his t-shirt.

"No, thank you for being such an incredible daughter," he corrected, holding me out at arm's length and staring me meaningfully in the eyes. "Now go get your brother and sister, and tell your mom that breakfast is ready. We have a big day ahead of us."

...

I felt my heart in my throat as we inched closer and closer to the complex where my audition would take place.
Thump thump, thump thump.
I was shoved in the backseat between Chris and Taylor, both entertained by their phones while I felt as though I would have a heart attack any second.
Thump thump, thump thump.
My parents were engaged in conversation in the front seat, oblivious to the fact that their oldest daughter was about to go into cardiac arrest.
Thump thump, thump thump.
My hands were sweating and I swore that I could pass out at any moment. What was I so afraid of? I had mentally prepared myself for the day for weeks once I found out I had the opportunity to audition. I didn't understand why-

"Holy shit, look at the line!" Chris exclaimed, interrupting my current thoughts and introducing me to a whole set of new ones.

The line was wrapped completely around the building, and judging by the looks of it, I would be at the very end despite having arrived three hours early. I swallowed hard, resisting the urge to smack the crap out of my brother for embedding the fear of standing in line for hours and sweating through my clothes deep in the pits of my stomach. I saw my mom glance at me in the rear view mirror and tried my best to avoid her gaze, but she wouldn't allow it. She twisted in her seat so that she was facing me and grabbed my hand, rubbing the top of it with her thumb.