Chapter 58: Just Kidding

It is as if a wave of depression hit all of them at once,
I can see it in their shattering eyes.
The absolute tragedy.

"No." Cooper shakes his head, almost chuckling.

"That's-that's not true." Riley's voice cracks when she speaks.

At first I didn't quite believe it either. But I suppose dying runs in my blood. First my parents, then my grandmother and now me. The only thing getting me by these days is closing my eyes at night, imagining the cherry blossom tree that my family is beneath, waiting for me as I know they are.

"I'm afraid it is." I wrap my arms around myself. Taking in my surroundings, it seems that students have better and more important things to talk about to be engrossed in my terrible news. Thank God for that.

"No, you're fucking lying. This isn't happening," Cooper seethes. Raking his hands through his hair and down his face.

"I wish I was." I lower my head, staring at the discolored tiles.

"Kyla. . ." Chloe whimpers. Her eyes are rimmed with red, tears pour down her cheeks.

I know now, that with the truth out, there will be no more "normal" days for me. I'll be the reason for the whispers and the sad eyes. No one will look at me as they did hours ago, and no one will treat me the same.

I'm dying, that's just how it's going to be, this is my ending. No white picket fence, no family of my own, no house in the suburbs. . .just a life beyond.

"I can't believe it." Riley mumbles. Her eyes lose their vibrance and her skin pales.

"God, I can't lose you." Cooper chokes. He hasn't yet met my eyes as he taps his foot restlessly on the tile flooring.

"W-What about chemotherapy?" Chloe asks.

"Yeah. People get better that way." Riley says with tears staining her cheeks.

"You have to get better." Cooper takes my hands in his. The warmth of his touch is a feeling that almost cures the sickness inside of me.

"It's stage four Lymphoma." I shut my eyes, willing the tears to follow. "Leukemia."

Knowing that I will soon leave behind my friends, my brother, my boyfriend. . .it leaves an agonizing ache deep inside of me. Almost more painful than the lethal itself.

"So! People can live through it!" Chloe admits.

"Not for long. Even the doctor mentioned a lengthy and painful recovery. The chances weren't high for me." I open my eyes once more, surprised to find that I'm still alive. That time hasn't sped by at an abnormally fast pace and taken my life with it.

"So you're just refusing it!" Cooper jerks out of my touch like I've burned him.

"I'm sorry. . ."

"Sorry?!" He yells and of course, it has gained attention. The attention of my brother himself.

"What the hell is going on?" Blake asks, coming to stand beside me with an urgent look in his green eyes much like mine.