Chapter 9: A Living Nightmare

At first Dawson doesn't notice me, that is until Cooper proves he truly can't help but to provoke me. "Well isn't this a fun turn of events?" He chuckles, pointing Dawson in my direction as he gestures between us. "Shut up, you fuck face." I seethe, trying to keep my voice quiet enough so that Mr. Carter can't hear. In Cooper's defense he has not one clue as to what Dawson, his so called friend, has done to me or most likely other women. He only knows what my bitch of an ex told him.

The moment Dawson and I lock eyes I can almost feel my heart roll over and die. Something in the smirk stretched across his lips and the emptiness in his eyes has me wanting to crawl inside of myself and hide. "Kyla." His hand brushes the surface of my desk then gently across my shoulder. I shiver. It takes a solid five minutes to actually tune back into the class. I can't hear much of anything over the rapid beating of my heart.

I somehow end up powering through the rest of the day without being of convenience to Dawson and his damned deep blue eyes. Luckily he found other means of interest in the giggly school girls and their short skirts.

The end of this treacherous school day is upon me as I stumble out of my last class without so much as a second glance. Blending in with the crowds I make my way outside, glad to find that my brother is already waiting for me at his usual parking spot up front. I have to suppress a laugh when looking at my grandmother's old janky car that he has to use for transportation as of recently.

He managed to crash his Honda Accord into an "unsuspecting curb" the other week when leaving of all people's houses, Cooper's. It's unfortunate my brother is friends with the literal devil incarnate. If he only knew the way he talked to me. I remember mentioning to my brother two years back about the trouble his friend was causing me to which I was told "he likes you" and that was the end of it. 

I don't say anything when walking up to my brother and wrapping my arms around his bulky build. "I'm guessing you heard?" Blake pulls away from me and I nod, hopping in the car after him.

Blake knows mostly everything about Dawson; the important details. I didn't plan on telling him but he was there for it all. My crying, my breaking; I was a mess and soon I couldn't help but tell him why, that's when my parents got involved.

"Yeah. I heard," I adjust the temperature in the car, desperately needing the cool air to circulate around me before I burn up "he's actually in one of my classes along with your butt buddy, Cooper."
Blake snorts loudly, "okay sure, freshman year I was basically his bitch but that was before I learned the secret to his perfect spirals and dipped out. He's just a buddy now. No butts" I roll my eyes at his confession and he continues, "regardless. I'm sure if I told Cooper about what this shithead did to you he'd agree to jumping his ass. Cooper is at least tolerable."

    "To you." I scoff and the rest of the way home is silent. Once we arrive, Blake doesn't try to stop me from darting towards my bedroom only to lock the door behind me.

Why does Dawson have to be back? Why couldn't he have—I don't know, spontaneously jumped off a cliff?

Plopping down on my bed I start on the homework that's piled up after a couple days of me deciding to push it aside. I always used to do my homework right when I got home. It was mostly because mom and dad made Blake and I sit at the island in the kitchen as they cooked dinner, it worked out well for us all. Now I am fully responsible for how I want this all to play out.