Chapter 29: Family?

Walking through the halls Monday morning is still as tragic as it's always been. The weekend was slow and painful and all I want is a day that feels less like the others and less heart wrenching.

But for now-

I set my sights on Cooper upon entering through the school doors. "I'll see you in a second I just need to talk to him real quick." I squeeze Riley's shoulder and with a curt nod we part ways.

The walk over is never ending, with every step is my bleeding heart pumping. When I step up to him, surrounded by his friends, my heart stops altogether. "Cooper?" I clear my throat.

Turning around, he looks down at me and smiles. It's a beautiful smile that I can't help but to return, at least I get to. "How are you?" He asks.

"Better." The last time I saw him was the other day when I spontaneously banged on his door. Never would I have thought that would happen but it was all I could think on the brink of losing my sanity to the emptiness in my soul.

"Well look at you two lovebirds." Cooper's friend, Aaron chimes in. Ignoring them, Cooper picks at the combination of his locker.

"So did you two-" Cameron points his finger towards us while the others look between him and I.

"Both of you. Stop." Cooper rolls his eyes and his friends back down. "I'll take the baby for the next couple days." Cooper says, shuffling through his locker.

"Oh. That's not necessary." I shake my head.

Facing me, Cooper quirks a brow. "It wasn't a question."

"Kyla!" My name is called from behind and before I can melt under his gaze I say. "Well I gotta go but I just wanted to come over and thank you. You know, for the other night." Leaving he and his friends be, I make my way across the hall until I'm surrounded by Chloe and Riley.

"So you and Cooper huh?" Riley nibbles her lip.

"No! No-" I begin but with the girls' eyes darting behind me to the tap on my shoulder, I turn around. The rest of my question falling away. "Blake? What's wrong?" Usually my brother doesn't approach me in school. So with the solemn look in his eyes followed by a tight frown. I'm worried.

"I got you somewhere to stay for the time being." He says slowly.

"Wait what?!" I blink at him. Stunned to say the least. "Did he just say a place to stay?" Riley murmured behind me.

"They're old friends of mom and dads. They're willing to take you in until you graduate or at least until you can get your own place." He sighs.

"Why?! Why are you doing this?" I step away from him.

"I love you, Kyla. So much. But I-I can't take care of you! I mean, I can hardly pay the bill at grandma's house." Taking my hand in his, he sucks in a shaky breath. "You're not happy there, especially when you're alone and you can't just run off every time I'm away."

"Please don't do this Blake." I plead but to no avail.

Wiping at his eyes, he drops his hand and steps away from me. "They're in the office now. Waiting for you."

After adjusting to the fact that I now will no longer have my brother, I storm past him and towards the office without another word. My eyes lock with Cooper's along the way. My salvation.

Once I'm inside the office, it smells strongly of printer paper and black coffee. An old woman greets me at the counter who then points me in the direction of a room where my permanent "parental figures" now are.