Chapter 44: Finally Finals

"So, how did you do?" Riley asks once I've met her at our usual table during lunch. Plopping down in my seat I sigh. "I hope I did good because I'm completely drained of energy."

"You want half of my sandwich?" She asks meanwhile I lay my head against the cool surface of the table, waiting for the spinning room to settle. "No thanks. I'm pretty full." I answer.

"Yeah right. You've hardly been eating recently, come on. It's peanut butter and Nutella. You're favorite." She waves the sandwich in my face and with a heavy heart I take the sandwich and slowly take small bites until I get it all down.

The lethargy begins to weigh on me after a couple minutes of sitting up and munching on the whole wheat bread. "Where's Chris and Chloe?"

"Uh," Riley looks around. "Not sure."

"Probably making out in a supply closet." I snort. "Been there. Done that."

"Ew, thanks for the detail." Riley chuckles, throwing away her trash. When she returns to her seat she asks, "where is that boy of yours anyways?"

"He's-" using whatever strength is left within me, I sit up and as soon as I spin around he's walking into the cafeteria looking as scrumptious as ever. "Right there."

"God you two are like those cliché romance couples." Riley gags.

"You're the one who wanted us together." I laugh.

"I think I'm second guessing that decision." Looking behind me, she smiles a sarcastic smile and says. "Hi Cooper."

"Riley." He chuckles.

At least my welcome is more friendly than Riley's as I squeal, throwing my arms around his torso and breathing him in.

"Hello beautiful." He kisses the top of my head.
"You gonna sit with your friends today?" I pull away, noticing he hasn't taken a seat yet.
"I am. Just wanted to come by and see how you were doing." He says.
"Still good." I cough.
"Right."

Once he's gone I lean back in my seat and relax. Focusing on the chatter of high school students as well as the smell of sour milk and fried chicken.

There's bits of snow sticking to the grass and the pavement outside, grey clouds rumble in from the distance, a sliver of sunshine peeking through.

"Earth to Kyla!" Riley snaps her fingers in my face.
"Huh?" I shake my thoughts away.
"I was asking if you still wanted to go to the pier for fireworks."
"Oh. Yes! That sounds perfect."
"Yay!" Riley cheers. "Let me just let Chloe know we're on for fireworks."

• • •

"Millie that's not a blindfold that's my-" Millie's already got ahold my freshly washed red lacy underwear from the laundry basket, wearing it on her head as if it could be mistaken as head gear. "Thong." I sigh.

No one else is home this early Tuesday afternoon. Lora and James are out on a date and when I contacted all of my friends, none of them could come over and help. So it's just me and Cooper's face on my phone screen. The real Cooper is better but since he can't be here, FaceTime is a good substitute.