Chapter 48: Christmas Day

"Wake up! Wake up!" My bed shakes with each small scream. Peeling open my eyes, I see that Millie is jumping just beside me. Her eyes are wide with excitement and her hair is messy from the sleep she must've just woken from. The little girl swiftly slides off of my bed, running out into the halls and leaving my door wide open so that I see Lora and James pass by as well.

Rubbing the sleep from my eyes, I stretch out my sore bones and ease myself from bed.

Grabbing my empty mug left on the nightstand, I start downstairs, ready to fill it up with the only reason I am alive today.

My antidote.

Coffee

I find Millie waiting anxiously by her presents in the living room and as soon as she sees me leaving the kitchen with my hot cup of coffee, she rips the wrapping paper open with no remorse.

"I love it!" The little girl chirps at the baby doll she's just pulled from a box. After around thirty minutes I find a place on the couch to rest my bones with the other parents who tire quickly. I am already finishing my mug of coffee to the point where once I finish it completely I will need another one.

Millie jumps up from the wrapping paper induced carpet, her presents either on her or in her petite hands.

"Here, set them here for now sweetie-pie." Lora kisses Millie's forehead and the little girl runs to the side of the couch, placing all of her dozens of gifts onto the ground. Her curly brown locks bounce up and down as she prances from place to place.

"So, we know you didn't want anything but we decided that you deserve at least one present. Now don't freak out but let me go get it." Lora stands to her feet and walks away.

"Oh no." I chuckle. Lora disappears into the laundry room, shuffling around before coming out moments later. I don't catch the moving ball of fluff in her hands until she stands before me and it's clear there is a golden retriever puppy squirming and squealing just out of reach.

Lora hands over the dog and as soon as it's in my arms, the rough texture of a tongue licks from my chin to my nose and slime covers my face.

"He's adorable. Goodness, thank you both so much." I thank.

"If you must know, the gender is male and he hasn't yet been named." James cleans up our empty mugs, taking them to the sink.

"I thought you might need a friend to stay by your side." Lora chuckles, reaching down to pet the soft fur.

James clears his throat catching my attention. "You also might want to take him for a walk, seeing as he may not have gone to the bathroom yet." James rubs my arm and I nod to him.

Picking up the new member of the family, I nuzzle my head into his. "Start a movie and I'll be back a little later to join you." I kiss Millie's forehead, starting off into the outdoors, bringing a coat along with me for good measure.

The extra layer definitely was a good idea, if only the dog had his own coat. He must be cold too. Letting the puppy lead me down the frost covered lawns, drops of snow are already melting away. I receive a phone call.

"Hey Riley. Guess what?" I chirp, watching as the dog sniffs around, doing his business and carrying along.

"Don't tell me. You got a car?" Riley snorts.

"Close. I got a dog! He's a Golden Retriever."

"Holy cow! What's his name?" She asks. Watching as he jumps and rolls around, I snicker. "He doesn't have one yet. I'm still thinking of one."

I watch as the dog bites on his leash, yipping continuously. "He's very interested in like. Everything." I laugh.

"How about Curious George?" Riley gasps.
"Ew. What the-No."
"Erm. . .pooper?"
"No."
"Cooper?"
"Riley, No. I'm sure that would scare the real Cooper away."

"True. Ah, I've got one," she silences on the other line. Clearing her throat suddenly she says "Riley." Her tone is grave and her voice is steady.

"Are you kidding me?" I chuckle.

"No-hey, you know what nevermind." She groans.
"You know, maybe you don't have to name the dog Cooper but does your boyfriend have any favorite foods or candies?" Riley asks.

"Well, yeah everyone does. Why does that relate to the dog?" I scratch the back of my head. I turn around and begin walking back to the house.

"Because it would be sweet to name the dog something that reminds you of Cooper. I'm sure he'd appreciate it." Riley suggests.

That is a good point. At my lack of a response, Riley speaks up again. "Plus, I assume you two will probably move in together eventually and that way it can be yours and Cooper's dog."

"He likes snickers!" I gasp. "You like that buddy?" Scratching behind his ears he pants and leans further into my hand.

"I think Riley is better. But Snickers is still cute." Riley hums.

"I'll call you later okay?" I say.

"Sounds good. Love you."

"Love you too. Bye." She hangs up and I spend a couple more minutes giving all my love and affection to the new dog.

Snickers.

I like that. . .

🐶

A/N: Aww! I love dogs and golden retrievers! I just don't have a golden retriever...yet. Who has a dog? What breed and what's their names?

Anyway love you all! Until next time.

Xoxo