Chapter 43: First Snow Fall

"Are you ready for finals?" Cooper's hands fall upon my shoulders as Riley, Chloe and I sit in one of the many vacant tables in the cafeteria this frigid morning.

There's folders, study guides and more papers spread around the surface as we go from one subject to the next. Cramming in as much information as possible in the last couple days of school before winter break.

"Does it look like it!" I throw my hands up and groan.

"Hey." Cooper shushes me, his hands working the knots in my back. "Don't stress, baby. You're going to do great."

"Stop psyching her out. She's gonna fail, we all are!" Chloe panics, briskly sweeping her eyes over one assignment then moving on to the next.

"Thanks Chloe. I love you too." I poke her nose, following in her chomping down on my finger. "Ow!" I yank my hand back. "Bad dog." I watch as the marks around my index finger become more prominent.

"Please Cooper," Riley murmurs under her breath meanwhile plucking out a strip of sticky notes from her backpack that is crowded with loose leaf paper and worksheets. "Refrain from kissing her finger."

"I would think that now with a boy on your arm you would ease up on all of us couples Riles." Chris swoops in and kisses Chloe's cheek.

"We're not official yet so my verdict still stands. Mushy stuff stays behind closed doors. Not ones with me behind them." She drags a finger around the table. Eliciting a laugh from deep within my throat that then turns into an endless coughing fit.

It's a cough that hasn't gone away since I was sick a couple weekends back. "Are you sure you should be here? It sounds like your cough is getting worse." Cooper asks, taking the empty spot beside me. The spot where Bryce would usually sit but instead he lurks these halls with his head down, trying not to draw attention to himself.

If he'd man up and talk to us then he'd know I've forgiven him but maybe he just hasn't forgiven himself.

It's fine, I can wait. I've got time.

"I'll be fine Coopy-poo." I coo at him, ruffling his hair and curling up to his side.

"Don't ever call me that again." He cringes.

"Yeah. Seriously, that was disgusting." Chris chuckles.

"Damn. Y'all are a bunch of grouchy pussy's this morning." I snort and the table falls silent.

"Did you-" Cooper scoffs. Running a finger over his bottom lip he says. "Did you just call us pussy's?"

"Uh no?" I pack up my things, throwing them into my backpack as fast as I can.

"She did." Riley nods.
"I heard it too!" Chloe raises her hand.
"Thanks guys." I grit. Quickly spinning around to face Cooper's grave expression.

I chuckle nervously. "Well I gotta go now so. . .bye!" I lurch out of my seat and run for my life. Thankfully the bell rings and I'm able to merge right in with the sea of students.

"Alright class! With finals starting tomorrow I need all of you to get on top of your study guides and finish them ASAP!" The teacher paces around the front of the classroom meanwhile student after student zone in and out throughout the lecture. I'm one of them.

My mind can't focus on just school when there's New Year's Eve and Christmas right around the corner. Usually Chloe, Riley and I watch the fireworks from the pier. Enjoying a hot dog and a day well spent with friends.

Now I have some arm candy to bring along with me as well.

Moving from class to class isn't all that exciting and by the time lunch comes around I think I'm about ready to pass the fuck out. "Hey!" A finger snaps in my face and I'm jolting upright to face a grinning Aaron across the lunch table.