2.3

Ashton wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me over him immediately. I tangled my fingers in his hair and opened my mouth slightly, letting his tongue in. It felt so good to kiss him again, it had been so long and I'd been dying to since I got together with Calum.

He ran his hands from my mid-back down to my lower back, resting them there as he kissed me. He seemed to be hesitant about kissing me, like he didn't want to screw something up.

I parted my lips from his and rested my forehead against his, closing my eyes and taking in being here with him like this, being so happy to be in his arms.

"You really shouldn't have done that," he said.

"I know," I replied, although I didn't.

"You're my best friend, Sarah," he said. "I can't kiss you. It's not right."

"I'm sorry," I said. "I just... I had too. I'm sorry."

I laid my head on his shoulder, not wanting to lose my closeness with him. I knew I would probably end up in this position by morning anyways but why not feel how good it is to be with him like this while I'm awake and aware of it?

"You had to?" he questioned.

"I told you before that I enjoy kissing you," I said. "It's just been so long."

"I like kissing you too," he said. "We just can't. Best friends don't kiss each other."

"We're not like everyone else," I said.

"I know," he said. "But if I kiss you it's going to turn into more."

Don't you want it to turn into more? I thought. Instead I agreed with him.

"Plus," he added. "You and Calum just broke up and... If you... You know... Decide to let him try again..."

He didn't even have to finish. I liked Calum, and I didn't want things to end with him so quickly. But if sacrificing my relationship with Calum would get me Ashton, I was willing to do it. The only problem is that I'm not sure that Ashton is ready to sacrifice our friendship for that.

I sighed. "Why is life so complicated?"

"I don't know," he said, moving one hand to stroke my hair.

I snuggled a little closer to Ashton, not sure it was even possible to get closer to him and closed my eyes, feeling tired.

"Under normal circumstances I would pick up my jeans and put them in a laundry basket but I think I'm just going to leave them on the floor," I said.

I could almost feel Ashton smile. "Good choice."

~~~

I woke up early in the morning, not wanting to move from Ashton's grip. He had his arms firmly around me. I was laying on my back and he had his head on my chest and his arms around my waist. I stroked his hair gently, and he stirred a little bit.

He turned his head to look at me. "I don't want you to leave."

"I don't either," I said.

"Then don't," he said sleepily, closing his eyes again.

Oh how I wanted to, so badly.

"I don't think that's a good idea," I said.

"And getting a tattoo was?" he asked. He had a point.

Who cares. I closed my eyes and drifted to sleep again.

I woke up again sometime later and the sunlight was streaming through Ashton's window. He had moved from having his head on my chest to having his face in my neck now, snoring lightly. He reminded me of a little puppy, just wanting to cuddle and sleeping so peacefully.