~0.6

Ashton and I walked out of the garage, talking about the game and he was explaining about how him and his dad had been trying to beat that high score for nearly a year now.

We walked into the house, and Mr. Irwin was sitting at a desk in an office like room.

"Dad!" Ashton ran into the room, pulling me along. "Sarah broke our high score in pinball!"

I laughed. "I did not, Ashton--"

"Sarah broke the high score," he said, cutting me off. I laughed and shook my head.

"That's awesome!" He said, turning to us. "How'd you do it?"

"Ashton did all the work," I said before Ashton could cut me off again.

"It was a team effort," he said, making me laugh once again.

"Well now we have an even higher high score to beat!" He laughed, turning back to whatever he was doing.

Ashton grinned at me and pulled me back out of the office and into the kitchen.

"Are you hungry?" he asked, opening the fridge.

"A little," I said. "Not really though."

"How can you not be hungry after all that work we did in my room?" he asked, shaking his head.

"I'm sorry," I laughed. "I was hanging up clothes. That's so exhausting."

"Oh yeah, I forgot," he teased. "I was the one moving around heavy boxes and furniture."

"Shut it," I said, laughing.

Ashton pulled out mayonaise, mustard, cheese and ham slices. "I'm making us sandwiches." He reached in and pulled out lettuce as well, and a couple other vegetables.

I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket, so I pulled it out and I had a text from my dad. "Where are you?"

"I'm at Ashton's," I replied.

"Why?" he asked. What does it matter?

"We're just hanging out. Do you need me for something?"

"What are you doing?"

I sighed and repied, "He's making sandwiches."

"Is something wrong?" Ashton asked.

I shook my head. "My dad is just bombarding me with questions."

"About what?" he asked.

"Where I am, why I'm here, what I'm doing... Et cetera."

"Oh," he frowned. "Does he not trust me?"

"He doesn't trust anyone," I said. "I wouldn't take it personally."

Another text from my dad. "Then what are you going to do?"

I sighed. "Eat them...?"

"Then what?"

"Dad..."

"I'm sorry, I'm just making sure you're safe."

"I'm not going to do anything stupid. I don't know why you don't trust me."

"I trust you, I just don't trust anyone else."

I groaned and put my phone back in my pocket.

"I'm sorry," Ashton said. "If it makes your dad feel better, we can go over to your house instead."

"If we do that he'll hover over us," I said. "It won't be any fun."