1.5

I looked in the mirror at my reflection. I had put on a white long sleeved shirt and red skinny jeans with my white Toms. I brushed my hair one more time before walking downstairs.

My mom was sitting on the couch in the living room, crocheting something.

"Oh Sarah," she said, smiling at me. "You look beautiful." I noticed her eyes filling with tears.

"Don't cry, mom," I said. "I'll cry too."

"I know," she sighed. "I'm sorry. I just can't believe my only daughter is going on her first date."

I sat down next to her on the couch. "I'm scared."

"Of what?" she asked.

"I don't know," I said. "That it'll be awkward, or we'll run out of things to say, or I'll do something wrong."

"You'll be fine," she said, putting her arm around me. "You're going to have him so charmed you could do anything and he would still be impressed."

I laughed, knowing she was just pep talking me. That's what my mom does. I know most of the time it isn't true, but it relaxes me, which helps.

I was surprised at how well my dad took it. I mean, he wasn't happy about it, but I didn't have to argue for very long before he gave in. Plus I had my mom and even Sam on my side, that I'm 18 and old enough to start dating now. And he only gave in on the condition that Sam took some girl with us on a double date.

Sam walked downstairs wearing jeans and a t-shirt. He had actually attempted to tame his hair that was usually unruly and liked to stick up in every single direction.

The doorbell rang, and I panicked for a minute, unable to move. I stood up as Sam walked to the door, opening it to Calum standing and holding a rose. He smiled when he saw me.

I walked over to the door.

"I, uhm, got this for you," he said, handing it to me.

"Thank you," I managed to smile. "It's lovely."

My mom joined us at the door.

"You must be Sarah's mom," he said, holding his hand out and smiling. "I'm Calum."

"It's nice to meet you," she smiled, shaking his hand. That's when my dad joined us, and my anxiety got about 20 times worse.

"Calum, this is my dad," I said, barely above a whisper and they shook hands.

"You have precious cargo with you," he said. "Be careful."

"Yes sir," Calum nodded.

He looked at me. "Should we go now?"

"Yeah," I nodded, eager to escape the awkwardness of my dad standing there.

Calum took my arm and we walked out to his car. He opened the passenger seat for me, and Sam got in the backseat.

"Didn't introduce myself yet," Sam said. "I'm Sarah's brother, Sam."

"I'm Calum," he smiled.

"Well I kinda figured that," Sam said, and I laughed.

"He's rude," I said to Calum and he smiled a little.

"So you're gonna have to show me where your girlfriend lives," Calum said.

"Oh she's not my girlfriend," Sam said. "She's just a really hot girl that I needed to come with me so that I wouldn't be third wheeling like I am right now."

"Oh," Calum said quietly. I could tell he was intimidated by Sam. I wasn't sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing.

Sam showed Calum to the girl's house, and Sam went up to the door, a few minutes later coming out with a blonde who I already knew was going to be an airhead.