~0.7

"What do you mean?" I asked him, and he took a deep breath.

"You don't have to tell me," I said.

"It's okay," he said. "It's... It might take a while to explain."

"I'm listening," I said.

"Well... My real dad... I have no idea where he's at now. He left us when I was in 5th grade. I don't know why, and I wasn't old enough yet to understand why him and my mom were constantly fighting and yelling at each other."

My heart ached as I imagined what a horrible childhood he must've had, his mom and dad fighting then his dad just disappearing.

"Then when I was in 5th grade, he said to my mom, I remember his exact words, they were 'I'm done with this.' And then he wasn't there the next day," I could hear the pain in his voice, and I wanted to hug him. I didn't know what else to do or say.

"I don't know what to say," I said. "No child should have to go through that."

He shrugged. "Luckily, my mom met my step dad, who is who I refer to as my dad, and they got married when I was in 8th grade. Then we moved into a house where I lived previously, and I went to high school while we lived there."

"So he's not your real dad," I said. "No wonder he doesn't look that much like you."

"I look a lot like my real dad," he said. "But... I haven't seen him in nearly 8 years now."

I reached over and took his hand. "At least you have a good step dad to take over?"

"I guess you're right," he said. "I just wish I had more memories of him. When I try to remember him, it's pretty much all just a blur. I can't even really remember his face until I look at pictures. I've never told anyone this before, but I actually hope I run into him someday. Just so I can see how he's been, you know?"

I nodded. "You're really forgiving. If my dad had left me in 5th grade, I'd hate his guts and hope I never saw him again. I would probably completely hate him for leaving us just out of nowhere."

He shrugged and smiled a little bit. "I like to give people second chances, and I think that's what he needs. A second chance."

"But... It's kind of too late," I said. "I mean, you're already grown up now. His job as a parent would be practically over."

"I know," he said. "I just hope he found someone that loves him and takes good care of him." Ashton looked absolutely miserable, like he really missed his dad.

"Can we talk about something else?" he asked, and I nodded.

"I've never told anyone this either," he grinned. "But I've always secretly had this crazy dream of becoming a drummer."

I laughed. "Are you serious?"

He nodded. "My mom got me a drum set, which I have now, still, I just haven't brought it into my room, and I taught myself how to drum."

"That's awesome," I smiled. "You'll have to show me your skills sometime."

"I'm not that great," he laughed. "I just always thought it would be cool to be in a band and travel the world, you know?"

I nodded. "I started singing when I was younger, but kinda gave up on it when I realized how much I wanted to become a writer."

"Well if I'm gonna have to drum for you, you're gonna have to sing for me," he smiled a ridiculously large smile at me.

"I'm not good," I said. "You don't want to hear me sing."

He raised an eyebrow at me. "Then you don't want to hear me drum."