~0.4

Ashton sat down on his bed and I stood around awkwardly for a moment.

"You can come sit on my bed," he smiled at me.

I nodded. "Yeah."

"Are you okay?" he asked.

I nodded and smiled. "I'm fine."

"You seem a bit antsy."

"Well I literally just met you this afternoon and you've already seen me in less clothing than any other guy outside my family," I said. "I'm a bit... Antsy."

"I'm sorry," he said. "Does it make you uncomfortable? I can put my shirt back on?"

"No, it's fine," I said. "I just need to calm down a little bit."

After a moment, I said, "It's actually kinda nice. Gives me a feeling of freedom, almost."

He laughed. "I've never heard someone say that before, but I'm okay with it."

"My parents can't find out about this though," I said.

He frowned. "I don't want to be going behind their back."

"It's okay," I said. "They're just overly protective. There's nothing to worry about. As long as I'm in my room at 6 in the morning, my parents are fine."

"How do you know that?" he asked.

"They always come in to check on me early in the morning," I said. "That's what they do."

"They really are protective," he said. "Knowing you know not to sneak out... Well thinking." He smiled at me, and I realized he was referring to the fact that I did just sneak out, technically.

"I've never snuck out before, honest," I said.

"I believe you," he smiled.

"Okay," I smiled at him too.

A long, awkward silence.

"Sarah," he said.

"Yeah?" I said.

"This is going to sound crazy," he said. "But... I think you're the best friend I've been looking for."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"I mean... I've been looking for a person to just connect with right away, to be my best friend and... I think you're that person," he said. "It sounds... Weird because I just met you but there's something between us that's connecting and I can feel it."

"I can feel it too," I said. "I never had a friend, so I guess I'm just glad that I finally have one. I mean, besides Sam. He's been my best friend since I was born basically, but I mean an actual best friend. Sam is 3 years older anyways, so it's not like I can cling onto him forever."

"He's 21?" he asked.

I nodded. "He's taking online college classes from home in the fall. Next year will be his last year."

"Oh," he said. "I thought he was younger."

"He's not the oldest looking guy around," I laughed. "What time is it?"

"8:30," Ashton said, checking his phone.

"I better head back over to my own house," I smiled, standing up.

"I think we're going to get along really well," he said, smiling as well.

"Best friends?" I said, sticking my hand out for a "pinky promise."

He smiled his huge, award winning smile and shook my pinky with his. "Forever."

I climbed back to my own room and went carefully inside. I know the whole "pinky promise" thing seems childish considering the fact that I'm turning 19 in two months, but that's something that needs to be done as a child, and I just didn't get the chance to.

But now I officially have a best friend.

I went to bed and laid down, not able to stop the ridiculously large smile on my face. And then I cried. I cried so hard, I was so happy to finally have a friend.

~~~

I woke up in the morning to sunshine beating down on my face. I opened my eyes and sat up, feeling like a complete different person. Maybe this would help my writer's block.

I stood and went to my closet to find something to wear. The sun looked really hot, so I took a pair of jean cut-off shorts and a loose shirt out and got dressed. I brushed my hair and put it in two French braids before walking downstairs and getting something for breakfast.

I poured myself a bowl of cereal and sat down. Sam trudged into the kitchen just then in sweats and hair sticking up in all sorts of directions. I laughed at him.

"I'm not complaining," he said. "But why are you so happy and bubbly all of a sudden?"

"I'm not," I smiled.

"Okay, Pippy," he said.

"Because of my braids?" I said, crossing my arms at him.

"You hardly ever wear your hair like that," he said.

"I'm trying new things," I said, taking a bite of my cereal.

My mom walked into the kitchen and Sam whispered to her rather loudly, "Sarah's acting really weird."

"I'm sitting right here, Sam, and I can hear every word you're saying."

"Good," he said, pouring his own bowl of cereal and my mom just chuckled to herself and got her own breakfast.

"Any plans for today?" my mom asked me.

"I was going to ask Ashton if he wanted me to help him unpack," I said.

"Well that's really nice of you," my mom said. "I'm glad you two are getting along so well."

"Me too," I smiled. "It's nice to finally have a friend."

"Boyfriend," Sam coughed.

I sighed, and my mom shook her head and laughed.

I took the last drink of milk from my bowl of cereal and put it in the sink before heading upstairs.

I brushed my teeth and checked my phone for any messages. None.

I looked across to Ashton's window, and I'm pretty sure I saw he was still in bed. I almost laughed to myself before climbing across the trees.

When I reached Ashton's window, sure enough, he was still laying in bed on his stomach, sleeping. I could hear him snoring from here, which made me smile to myself and I tapped on the window a few times. He stirred a little, so I tapped on it again, a little harder this time and he opened his eyes and looked at me through the window.

He rolled out of bed and opened his window to help me in.

"Come on, lazy butt," I said. "It's nearly noon. You can't sleep all day."

He rubbed his eyes and looked at me. "If I didn't like you, I'd be ripping your head off right now."

I smiled and he turned around and pulled a shirt on.

"I was wondering if you wanted me to help you unpack," I said.

"That would be awesome," he said. "I could get it done so much faster."

"When were you planning on starting?" I asked.

"Um... An hour or so?" he said. "So I can shower and eat and stuff."

"Okay," I said. "Just text me or something."

He nodded and I turned around to go back over to my room.

"By the way," he said.

"Yeah?" I turned back around and he smiled at me.

"Good morning, and your hair looks good like that."