Chapter 17 --- Until My Last Breath

Start from the beginning

"...it's not about this morning...it's...it's..."

James looked concerned when I paused. "What is it? You can tell me. There's nothing we can't face." he said.

I wish so too, my mind said out loud. "It's nothing." I faked a smile as James frowned in return.

"Come on, Cass. I'm not that dumb to see nothing's bothering you." his hand travels from my hand to my cheek, making me look straight at him. His beautiful eyes still twinkle in the dim light...and they're mine.

I struggled looking straight at his gaze but I managed to a few blinks later. "I-I'm nervous."

"About school? We've talked about this before, really it will work, Cass--"

"No, it's not about school I'm nervous about." I butted in. The silence between us served as an answer for him.

"Oh, Cassidy." he says as he pulled me in his embrace, my head on his chest. He kisses my forehead as he starts to rub circles on my back. "My dearest, wife." he murmurs into my head. "Do you want to sleep for a while? We still have more or less thirty minutes more."

"Sure." I whispered. "How about you?"

"I'm alright. You need your rest, my angel." he helps me lift up my legs and fix my gown. It's as if I was a baby in his arms. "I love you, wife." he says and instantly my eyes closed.

My eyes open as the car went to a halt. James' wake up call was a very long kiss on the head. I looked up at him with droopy eyes and his lips curved into a smile, giving me a peck on my lips. "Where are we?" I asked as I stretched a little.

"I place I think you'd want to come back after first seeing it." his smirk is too loud to be seen. "Come on, sleepyhead. You can sleep once we've settled in." he opened his side of the door and got out.

"Sleep?" I said out loud once more. I should filter my thoughts before letting them out!

"Yes, my angel. You can sleep all you want. From the looks of it, you haven't got much sleep last night and the wedding really wore you out." he says and suddenly I hear crickets chirping, and the cold breeze that smell like pine reach my nostrils.

"Are we at the cabin?" I asked and instantly I was wide awake again.

James grinned from ear-to-ear upon hearing my guess. "I remember you said you love it here, and that I saw you quite in love with this place. I have thought of taking you to other places that you need to see, but I think this is what we need for now." he held out his hand to help me get out. "We can visit other places some other time. Maybe next week if you want, but if you would ask me, I'd want us to spend more time together. Just James and Cassidy without the family, the worries, the issue with school...just us."

The way he spoke, I couldn't take my eyes off him. And all he said made my heart melt, and the nerves paused for a while. How in my life, have I deserve to have James? I looked up and saw the stars looking like glitter again, it was one of the most beautiful sights still. But the sight I adore most is James' face that I wanted to punch way back, now is the face that gave me the strength I thought I couldn't have.

"I think I like that, husband." I said, feeling my cheeks redden as I felt the tugging. Husband. A word I thought I could never say.

"One more thing before we get in." he reaches out to his pocket to produce a set of keys.

"You bought me a car as well?"

James laughed. "No."

"Your car keys?"

He laughs harder this time. "No."

It was too dark and I couldn't see properly. They looked like car keys. He jingled them and then it hit me.