The Baby Blues (Part 18)

Three months later-

"Cheyenne, you need to hurry or you're going to be late." My mom said, seeming excited. Why was my mom excited? It was my first day back at school since I had Hayden and it was my Senior year about to start.

I quickly finished flat-ironing my hair and applying eyeliner and then I ran over to Hayden -who was sitting in a circle of her toys with Adrian laying by her feet, trying to pick up any crumbs she might drop from her cookie. "Let's go Hayden, princess. It's time for your first day at school too." Mr. Patel had called to inform me, two weeks ago, that our school opened up a daycare center right on campus for teenage mothers. They were now also offering classes for pregnant students, separate from the whole student body.

Hayden's curls were bouncing all over the place and I cursed my dad for passing on his curly haired gene to her. "Ma, ma, ma, ma." She sang, yanking on my warm hair. "Yes, mama." I told her. Showing off my new found multi-tasker skills, I balanced Hayden on my left hip and my school bag and Hayden's diaper bag on my right shoulder. Adrian jumped up off the floor and barked twice. Hayden squealed and threw him her cookie.

"Hey, that was bad." I scolded my puppy; he always had a way of getting Hayden's food. I ran down the velvet stairs and into the hallway. "Your mom is already in car." Delia told me. I smiled and leaned over to peck her on the cheek. "Thanks, see you later. Hayden say bye-bye." I waved to Delia with Hayden's hand and then turned to hurry to the car. Delia was right, my mom was waiting for me in the passenger's seat of my 67' Impala. I rolled my eyes and opened the back door, throwing mine and Hayden's bags on the floor and then buckling Hayden into her seat.

"So--do I look okay?" My mom asked me. She was playing with her curled hair and flattening out the new outfit she had bought last week. "Chill mom, you look fine. And besides, you're suppose to be the one giving me advice on how I look, not the other way around. Why are you so jumpy anyways?" My mom looked over at me and smiled. "Scott went away this summer to visit his kids and he just got back in the day before yesterday, but obviously he had to get his school stuff together, so this will be the first time I see him in three months." She rolled her eyes at me like that was the most obvious thing in the world.

"You have a thing for Scot---er, Mr. Patel, don't you mom?" Her cheeks flushed and she looked out the window. "He's not your father but...he's so nice to be around. And he makes me happy, so if that means that I have a 'thing' for him, than I suppose I do." I smiled to myself and concentrated on my driving. "So-um, how do you plan on getting home after you get to school." My mom's eyebrows furrowed and she looked over at me. "I didn't think about that. I guess I'll call a cab." I started laughing at her and Hayden joined me in the backseat. "See, even Hayden thinks you're a goof grandma." I told her.

My mom turned in her seat and scowled at Hayden. "Do you think I'm a goof little girl?" She asked her. "Ma, ma, ma, ma, ma!" Hayden chirped, bouncing up and down in her seat. I parked in the first open space I could find and turned my car off. "I'll let you borrow my car as long as you have it back here before school lets out." I told my mom, handing her the keys. "Well-thank you." She said, tucking them away in her purse.

I repeated my balancing act from earlier--Hayden on left hip, bags on right shoulder-- and closed all the door. My mom opened hers and shakily got out of the car, slowly rising to her feet. She took a few deep breaths and looked over at me smiling. "Do you think he'll be surprised?" She asked. "You didn't tell him you started walking again?" I asked her. She shook her head, still grinning. "He'll be thrilled." I told her.

Left with strangers-

"I'm sorry," I told the woman in charge of the daycare center. "I'm sure you guys are wonderful, I've just never left her with strangers before." The woman smiled and shook her head, "I don't take it offensively. It's called separation anxiety and it happens to the best of us--though worse in breast feeding mothers." I looked up at her. "You have children?" She nodded, "Yes, they're all grown now though."