The Baby Blues (Part 7)

The next morning-

I woke up in David's arms and it felt right. I felt my heart squeeze when a picture of Jamie surfaced in my head and for a second I thought, How could I being in two different guys arms both feel so right? Before David could wake up, I crawled out of his bed and scooped Hayden out of the bassinet that Crystal had bought for David's room. My boobs were quite sore from not feeding Hayden from them for hours, so I headed to the living room, made myself comfortable, and began breast feeding her.

She had just finished, both sides, when the house started waking up. I burped her and stood up as David came out of his room. "There you two are, I was afraid you left without letting me say good-bye." I shook my head and handed her over to him. "No, I wouldn't do that. Actually, I'm going to have to leave her here again if that's alright with you, I have to go back to the hospital." David smiled and kissed Hayden's puffy cheeks. "You can always leave her here Cheyenne, it's no problem at all. She's my daughter, after all." I smiled and picked up my purse from the table.

"I'll see you later then." Libby came out of her room before I could leave. "Hey," She said, coming over to me. "I didn't hear you come in." I smiled shyly at her and shrugged. "I came in last night..." My eyes met David's, "But I have to go back now." I looked down at my dress and sighed, "After I go home and change." Libby nodded and reached for Hayden, David handed her over. "Okay, we'll see you later then?" I nodded, "Of course." And then I left their house.

The cab ride home was shorter than usual and when I got inside I heard a weird sound...sort of like a clicking, and Delia shouting. "Come back here! Stop! Stop! That's my shoe." Before I could react, a small, Blue Heeler puppy tackled into my legs, holding one of Delia's slippers in its mouth. I reached down and lifted the puppy into my arms, pulling the shoe from its mouth and looking up at Delia when she made it into the hallway.

"Oh, I'm so sorry Miss Cheyenne. Libby told me I had to watch over babies until you got home, but then mother woke up. I did not mean to let it get out of hand..." I cut her off. "Babies?" Just then a smaller, Bengal kitten slid into view, pouncing on Delia's other slipper, which was still on her foot. The puppy in my arms began wiggling, so I let it go, and it ran over to the kitten, putting its whole head in its mouth. Delia reached over, grabbing her shoe from me and then scooped the kitten up and away from the puppy. "No, no, no! Kitty is not for breakfast." Delia scolded the puppy affectionately.

And then I realized, these were the puppy and kitten I had asked for, for my birthday. I smiled and shook my head, kicking my own shoes off. "Thank-you for watching them Delia. I'll help out as soon as mom gets home, but I have to run..." She didn't even notice me talking to her because she was caught up in another chase, only this time, the puppy had the kitten in its mouth. I shook my head and ran upstairs to shower and change.

An hour later-

"How are you feeling this morning mom?" I asked, handing her the newspaper on her bedside table." She shrugged slightly and started flipping through the paper, stopping when she got to the 'Shoppers' section. "I'm thinking about what I want to do to the house when I get home. I haven't seen it in a while, but I expect it could use a little...fixing up." I stared at her, waiting for her to continue, but she didn't. She didn't want to change the house because it could use a "fixing up" she wanted to change the house because it would remind her too much of dad. "Whatever you want, mom." I told her and leaned over to read with her.

The next week-

My mom was getting released to go home. I would think that I'd be a bit more excited, but all that I could think about was: now I'll have to tell her about Hayden. For the last week I had rotated my time between the Hospital, David's house, and home. Being with Hayden, Adrian and Dora (my puppy and kitten) were the only times that I could actually relax. Hayden hadn't been home since my mom had awoke, but that was only because it was more convenient for David and his family to take care of her when she was at their house.